More of a thought than a question

AmyW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody!
I was thinking, I don’t know if it’s just me (more than likely is!) does anyone experience anxiety around having a LADA diagnosis?

I feel constantly on edge that it will be taken off me, sometimes I think it’s wishful thinking as nearly a year on I can’t say that I’ve found much peace with Diabetes in general let alone the diagnosis.

My GP has often made remarks such as I’m pretty sure it is type 2 but he wouldn’t rule out LADA, my Endocrinologist on first meeting her said I’m too fat to be type 1 which is why she settled on a LADA diagnosis (she says LADA with type 2 clinical features) I’ve asked her what the features are, she says I’m pedantic but other than my weight there isn’t anything (I have said because she says features that is plural not singular so what else?) there isn’t anything. Every telephone call appointment I have I have such anxiety leading up to it and then the same waiting for her letter to arrive with the diagnosis I have. I have GAD antibodies, not talking significant amounts but enough to warrant further investigation, Cpeptide is low.

I don’t know if it’s just me, I don’t know if sometimes I’m just hoping it’s not diabetes at all. I don’t know why I think id be so upset if it was type 2, stigma around diabetes (any type) is horrendous and I feel it’s a very misunderstood condition and sadly the public don’t get it until it happens either to them or someone they know! I work with medical professionals who haven’t got a clue, I just wanted to know if anyone else feels this way particularly with it been LADA? I think I just feel quite alone with it!

I think this has turned into more of a vent than an actual question!

If you’ve got this far, well done!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think sometimes that actually getting a true diagnosis can be overwhelming, and can be frustration, relief and frightening, all at the same time. It can be similar to situations through life (and grief).

But for me, even with my endocrinologists knowledge. I was out of my depth, and didn't have a clue. For someone in his late fifties, my doctors convincing me with T2, more than a decade previous. I was left with very little knowledge, and left floundering to understand what I had left myself into.
In other words, not a Scooby!

It took a lot of research and guidance, patience and an awful lot of trial and error to find a way to control the condition which would improve my health and symptoms.

I would definitely say that heightened anxiety after a diagnosis which is so surprising and a trip into the unknown, is not so unthinkable!

AmyW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think sometimes that actually getting a true diagnosis can be overwhelming, and can be frustration, relief and frightening, all at the same time. It can be similar to situations through life (and grief).

But for me, even with my endocrinologists knowledge. I was out of my depth, and didn't have a clue. For someone in his late fifties, my doctors convincing me with T2, more than a decade previous. I was left with very little knowledge, and left floundering to understand what I had left myself into.
In other words, not a Scooby!

It took a lot of research and guidance, patience and an awful lot of trial and error to find a way to control the condition which would improve my health and symptoms.

I would definitely say that heightened anxiety after a diagnosis which is so surprising and a trip into the unknown, is not so unthinkable!
Thanks Lamont!
I’m just trying to get on with it as I go but sometimes that feels easier said than done! I’m trying to work with the diagnosis that I have, which I’m assuming was based on some sort of science so maybe it’s just more me not wanting to accept it but then still anxious it will be changed. I say it to my GP, I regret the day I answered the phone when he rang with my first HBA1c results because I was blissfully unaware, then again if I didn’t know I could have found myself in a really sticky mess which I wouldn’t have wanted either!

• Agree
Reactions: Lamont D

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody!
I was thinking, I don’t know if it’s just me (more than likely is!) does anyone experience anxiety around having a LADA diagnosis?

I feel constantly on edge that it will be taken off me, sometimes I think it’s wishful thinking as nearly a year on I can’t say that I’ve found much peace with Diabetes in general let alone the diagnosis.

My GP has often made remarks such as I’m pretty sure it is type 2 but he wouldn’t rule out LADA, my Endocrinologist on first meeting her said I’m too fat to be type 1 which is why she settled on a LADA diagnosis (she says LADA with type 2 clinical features) I’ve asked her what the features are, she says I’m pedantic but other than my weight there isn’t anything (I have said because she says features that is plural not singular so what else?) there isn’t anything. Every telephone call appointment I have I have such anxiety leading up to it and then the same waiting for her letter to arrive with the diagnosis I have. I have GAD antibodies, not talking significant amounts but enough to warrant further investigation, Cpeptide is low.

I don’t know if it’s just me, I don’t know if sometimes I’m just hoping it’s not diabetes at all. I don’t know why I think id be so upset if it was type 2, stigma around diabetes (any type) is horrendous and I feel it’s a very misunderstood condition and sadly the public don’t get it until it happens either to them or someone they know! I work with medical professionals who haven’t got a clue, I just wanted to know if anyone else feels this way particularly with it been LADA? I think I just feel quite alone with it!

I think this has turned into more of a vent than an actual question!

If you’ve got this far, well done!
Hi, when I was first diagnosed just over a year ago, I certainly had heightened anxiety. I felt my coping mechanisms were full. I put a lot of how I felt was down to feeling very alone in trying to cope with diabetes, health care professionals didn't listen to me. Even after starting insulin I felt I was a patient pest. It wasn't until I finally got LADA antibodies positive that I had some nhs support. I think adult type 1 diagnosis isn't seen as a 'thing', I've had many times said to me, thought only children got type 1 diabetes. I've had people say, isn't it good to have a condition where the treatment is a mars bar. If I ate a mars bar, i'd probably pass out. I do feel a bit less anxious now, and hope you do to soon. My blood sugars are still a bit labile, and I get frustrated. It's good to vent occasionally.

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

AmyW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, when I was first diagnosed just over a year ago, I certainly had heightened anxiety. I felt my coping mechanisms were full. I put a lot of how I felt was down to feeling very alone in trying to cope with diabetes, health care professionals didn't listen to me. Even after starting insulin I felt I was a patient pest. It wasn't until I finally got LADA antibodies positive that I had some nhs support. I think adult type 1 diagnosis isn't seen as a 'thing', I've had many times said to me, thought only children got type 1 diabetes. I've had people say, isn't it good to have a condition where the treatment is a mars bar. If I ate a mars bar, i'd probably pass out. I do feel a bit less anxious now, and hope you do to soon. My blood sugars are still a bit labile, and I get frustrated. It's good to vent occasionally.
Thank you, this is very comforting! Will keep plodding on as that’s the only option, I do feel very silly getting this upset sometimes as I’ve made progress since I was diagnosed but maybe sometimes it doesn’t feel like it!

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Rowgirl