More on High Altitude.. Previously Kyle Boelte..

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided start a new post because I've lucked into physiologist who works for a high altitude environment manufacturer.

I got forwarded this link.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00421-019-04072-2

Intermittent hypoxia training/treatment (IHT) is an emerging therapeutic approach to alleviate chronic diseases, such as diabetes. The present study investigated the effects of IHT on blood leucocyte pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 1 (PDK-1) mRNA expression and its relationship with the changes in blood insulin level.

Methods
Seven adult healthy volunteers and 11 prediabetic patients participated in this study. A 3-week course of IHT consisted of a 40-min session of 4 cycles of 5-min 12% O2 and 5-min room air breathing per day, 3 sessions per week for 3 weeks (i.e., total 9 sessions of IHT). Plasma insulin levels and leukocyte PDK-1 mRNA expression were determined at various time points either under fasting condition or following oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). Correlation between the IHT-induced changes in PDK-1 mRNA and insulin or glucose levels in the same serological samples was analyzed.

Results
At pre-IHT baseline, PDK-1 mRNA expression was two times higher in prediabetes than control subjects. IHT resulted in significant augmentation in PDK-1 mRNA expression (> twofold) in prediabetes at the end of 3-week IHT and remained elevated 1 month after IHT, which was correlated with a significantly reduced insulin release and lower blood glucose after glucose loading with OGTT.

Conclusion
IHT can trigger beneficial effects in normalizing blood insulin levels in prediabetic patients under oral glucose load, which were closely correlated with an enhanced mRNA expression of PDK-1 in leukocytes. Further clinical trials are warranted to validate the utility of IHT as a non-invasive complementary therapy against diabetes-associated pathologies.

I think if one is serious about getting help with T2DM then IHT can help..

Best wishes

LBB

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if one is serious about getting help with T2DM then IHT can help..
As can a low carb /keto way of eating with a bit of fasting.. why bother to go through all the other stuff?
Plus of course there were no "actual" T2's in the study... just "normals" and "pre's"

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now apart from only being at the interesting stage rather than established and the problems doing this at home with access to the right air I think I’d consider it. I’m wondering how intense was the cycling too. But if I could reduce my IR twofold potentially then it would mean the difference between keto and low carb. And goodish numbers and great ones. That flexibility in eating would be very useful in a busy family situation not to mention variety and ease eating out.

sonia2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very small sample, and, as mentioned already did not include anybody with T2 diabetes. The results in the abstract look interesting, but the full content is only accessible via a paywall. I think a similar approach to exercise was looked at in one of Michael Mosely's "Trust me I'm a doctor" programmes on the BBC. Easy enough to try it yourself with the approval of your doctor.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very small sample, and, as mentioned already did not include anybody with T2 diabetes. The results in the abstract look interesting, but the full content is only accessible via a paywall. I think a similar approach to exercise was looked at in one of Michael Mosely's "Trust me I'm a doctor" programmes on the BBC. Easy enough to try it yourself with the approval of your doctor.
Not sure I can do the 12% O2 unless I live on a mountain

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm starting a kick-starter crowd funding appeal for the T2 Remedial Resort.
First challenge is to get the rights to build it on top of Ben Nevis.

Gold Class members get to live on top of the Jungfrau.*

Platinum Class members get to live in the Blue Mountains in Australia.*

Special Iridium Class members get their own accommodation in an observatory on Mauna Loa.*

*These are all locations where I have experienced altitude sickness to a greater or lesser extent.

Much of South America is also open for development by suitable franchisees.

Edit: Budget Class members get a trainer to come round and apply strangulation until the brain is starved of oxygen, or Special Budget membership involves the simple application of a plastic bag over the head. Extra charges apply for the removal of the bag.

Edit 2: Columbia and Venezuela are suspended from the franchise list until further notice.

Last edited:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this article too

https://www.emjreviews.com/diabetes...tegy-to-improve-glucose-metabolism-in-humans/

Abstract
The obesity epidemic calls for novel strategies to prevent and treat obesity and its comorbidities. Several studies have indicated that the amount of oxygen to which tissues are exposed may substantially impact cardiometabolic health. Interestingly, living at high altitude (hypobaric hypoxia) seems to be associated with improved glucose homeostasis and a decreased prevalence of Type 2 diabetes.

Here's a link to the entire study .pdf
https://emj.europeanmedical-group.c...to-Improve-Glucose-Metabolism-in-Humans...pdf

I'm no physician, but there are some interesting results coming from this particular field of research.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to run up mountains in the Pennines - and in Scotland when doing Open University summer schools - it was interesting that I could do that when just about everyone else was reething writhing and fainting in coils before reaching the final push for the top. Only when I moved to lower lands and a much more sedentary lifestyle did I lose the 24 inch waist.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting a kick-starter crowd funding appeal for the T2 Remedial Resort.
First challenge is to get the rights to build it on top of Ben Nevis.

Gold Class members get to live on top of the Jungfrau.*

Platinum Class members get to live in the Blue Mountains in Australia.*

Special Iridium Class members get their own accommodation in an observatory on Mauna Loa.*

*These are all locations where I have experienced altitude sickness to a greater or lesser extent.

Much of South America is also open for development by suitable franchisees.

Edit: Budget Class members get a trainer to come round and apply strangulation until the brain is starved of oxygen, or Special Budget membership involves the simple application of a plastic bag over the head. Extra charges apply for the removal of the bag.

Edit 2: Columbia and Venezuela are suspended from the franchise list until further notice.

The top of Ben Nevis is 4,413 feet of altitude. 12% of oxygen roughly equals about 14,000 feet of altitude. The cycles mentioned in the most recent study were for someone sitting and breathing 14,000 feet altitude for 5 minutes on and off with normal air. No exercising or cycling. As a fellow sufferer of T2DM I did lose weight when I stayed at 9,600 feet of altitude in Utah last summer, for 10 days. I've written about this previously here on this website with my take on and the tale of Kyle Boelte longer altitude hike from Denver to Durango.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.