1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

More on jelly

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by hanadr, Jun 16, 2012.

1. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I bought a pack of Hartley's low sugar jelly crystals, some plastic cups and a box of raspberries. I made up the jelly according to the directions, put 3 raspberries in the bottom of each of 5 cups, shared out the jelly and it's now setting in the fridge. There's room in each cup for cream. So now I have 5 cups of cheap low carb dessert for the next couple of days
    thanks for the ideas folks!
    Hana

2. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think you meant to say "for the next couple of hours".

3. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Hey Hana!

I wish I'd read this earlier. Stupidly, I made up a jelly and poured cream into the hot mixture, thinking it would be great to have the cream set insde the jelly - it didn't - it seperated and looked a right old mess :crazy: It tasted OK though! I'll leave room at the top for the cream in future :lol:

Smidge

4. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

I bought some double cream today to go with my evening jelly. In the week I had jelly for breakfast, jelly for lunch and jelly for tea - it's like being 5 again only with more jelly :D

5. borofergie

It's impossible to eat too much jelly. I never get sick of it.

6. SouthernGeneral6512

SouthernGeneral6512 · Well-Known Member

The last jelly I had was the sugary stuff in my childhood and I don't remember it being as runny as the modern low calorie stuff. It's so viscous you can hardly even pick it up on the spoon ... still better without the stickyness of sugar :sick:

7. SandrafromOZ

SandrafromOZ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Hana,

Thanks, I will give the raspberries a try next time..we have a terrific low joule Aeroplane jelly here in Australia...I adore the taste now and it is something that I would never have tried before diabetes.

Sandra

8. borofergie

The potted stuff can be India runny, but if you use the crystals you can make it as firm as you like.

9. millie_uk

millie_uk · Active Member

I bought the sachets of Hartleys crystals. I just put in a little less water and it is nice and thick. I bought strawberry, raspberry and black currant. I am going to put strawberries and blueberries in them today as adding the fruit sounds like a good idea, will look like M&S jellies :D
    I am not missing the huge amount of sweet goodies I used to consume but a little is a nice treat. So it's jelly and fruit for me, lovely (and one sugar free Werthers original now and again)

10. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

If you want to make a cream jelly, wait until the jelly just begins to set and then whip the cream into it. It shouldn't separate then. It's how we oldies used to make jelly creams. We did use condensed milk in those days. Could still be done with the sugar free version.
    it should still be possible to buy an agar based jelly . This sets quicker than gelatine, but makes a "brittle" jelly.
    Hana

11. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And for an adult pud, swap a bit of water with voddie.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook