Morning and night?????

nannoo

I am low carbing and have got my BS down to a reasonable level. However, I would just like to check to see what would be the ideal BS fasting level, and the ideal pre-bedtime level for a Type 2 diabetic. Many thanks.

nannoo

I can't believe 34 people have looked at my message, but no-one has responded. Is that because there IS no definite BS/BG level for fasting, and last thing at night?????

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Fasting (waking)...................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals..................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you can get the after meal (post prandial) numbers lower then so much the better.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
nannoo

I am no expert on these matters, any advice I give is purely personal, hence why I feel uncomfortable replying to posts sometimes regarding meds/bg's. Despite living with diabetes for a very long time, I still have much to learn and reading the forum is helping me expand my knowledge. I feel that more experienced boarders, who write more frequently with good sound medical advice, are more suited to give advice on control etc.

Anyway, the level I tend to go to bed with is a bg of no more than 7, and try to wake with a bg of 5-6. I am lucky at the moment that my bg does not go high during sleep, and if anything will come down to the 5 mark by the morning.

Nigel

nannoo

Thank you for your responses. I think I read somewhere that the last reading at night should be higher (around 8.0) to avoid hypos during the night. Because of that I am eating something later to avoid hypos, but then my fasting levels are higher. Should I not be doing this?

Vikingepigen

It is such an individual thing, that the only way to find out what suits you is to adopt a regime for a few days (or a week), test and make notes. Then change the regime and test again - only this way will you find which is the better for you and if you are experiencing the dawn phenomenon or not.

As for me (as I have posted previosly in other threads), do not suffer with the dawn phenomenon, however I am one of those who will wake with a high Bg level if I go to bed with a high Bg level, eg. last night my Bg was 6.4 and subsequently this morning 6.1. Normally I go to bed with a Bg around 5.5 or slightly lower and wake up with similar figures. I do have to eat a little cheese before bed, otherwise my Bg level drop during the night - one morning it was 4.4!!

You might want to use the excellent search function on the forum - try "Bg testing" (over 3000 hits) and "dawn phenomenon" (about 300 hits) and have a read through some of the existing threads on the subject. It sure will give you a good idea on the subject and how others have previously responded to the question.

Alice

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Nanoo
I can just give you my own preferred numbers( T2 Metformin 500 2x only)
Bedtime below 6
Morning high 4s and low 5s.