Prediabetes Morning BG

Could any body explain to me why the following May have occurred. I’m trying to get my hba1c back under 6.5. I am doing a low carb diet and exercise. Yesterday I had good BG results pre meals it was around 6.2 and after exercise it was 5.9. Even 2 hours after last nights meal it was 5.9. This morning 12 hours after my meal it was 6.7 ( highest it’s been in the last week. I did take apple cider vinegar after my meal and this caused me to wee a lot for about 3 hours. This is very strange for me and I was sure it was something to do with the vinegar. So question is why would my readings go up so much during the night

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You need to read about the dawn phenomena. Basically, your liver pumps out sugar at dawn to help you get active for the day and if you are carbohydrate /insulin intolerant it makes your blood sugar rise. (Unfortunately, there's no way to tell your liver to reduce the sugar production.)

Most of the T2s on here find their dawn reading is the last to reduce, because it depends on reducing your insulin resistance.

So relax, you are doing everything right. Just accept that your fasting reading will be the last to go down.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Could any body explain to me why the following May have occurred. I’m trying to get my hba1c back under 6.5. I am doing a low carb diet and exercise. Yesterday I had good BG results pre meals it was around 6.2 and after exercise it was 5.9. Even 2 hours after last nights meal it was 5.9. This morning 12 hours after my meal it was 6.7 ( highest it’s been in the last week. I did take apple cider vinegar after my meal and this caused me to wee a lot for about 3 hours. This is very strange for me and I was sure it was something to do with the vinegar. So question is why would my readings go up so much during the night
It’s something called dawn phenomenon, basically our ever helpful bodies go, on you are getting up son so need some energy and the liver dumps a load of glucose in our bloodstream to get us out of bed and into our bay or not so busy lives.
For a normal person this is great for us it’s not so great.
Usually the fasting number is the last to go down.
But yes basically it’s a human metabolic thing.

You need to read about the dawn phenomena. Basically, your liver pumps out sugar at dawn to help you get active for the day and if you are carbohydrate /insulin intolerant it makes your blood sugar rise. (Unfortunately, there's no way to tell your liver to reduce the sugar production.)

Most of the T2s on here find their dawn reading is the last to reduce, because it depends on reducing your insulin resistance.

So relax, you are doing everything right. Just accept that your fasting reading will be the last to go down.

Thank you. 1 hour later it was back to 6.2