Morning high blood sugar

Baldy1100

Good morning all...
So I am Diabetes type 2.
I take 1 x Forixa 10mg first thing.
I take 2 x metformin 500 mg first thing
I take 1 x metformin 500 mg at lunch
I take 1 x metformin 500 mg at night time meal.

My blood sugars never seem to go below 7!

Worst is first thing in morning... 12 hours after any intake...(fasting) my blood sugars come in at 9.5 !

What should I do?
When would be best to take my drugs?
Is there any better drugs I can take?

Really hope some one can advise here
Many thanks

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Baldy1100
There are many reasons apart from food for elevated levels, stress, exercise, poor sleep and the dawn phenomenon to name just a few. Higher levels first thing is very common and something most of us have experienced. In a response to certain hormones our liver releases stored glucose, it happens to everyone but in people who don't have diabetes their insulin mops up the released glucose and uses it to fuel the start of their day.
As T2's our insulin no longer works as well as it should (insulin resistance), we have trouble using the extra glucose our liver so kindly supplies and so our sugar levels rises.
As it is a completely natural process and just our body doing what it has evolved to do, stopping it from happening is extremely difficult. Just about the only thing that will help is reducing the amount of glucose you have in storage. So concentrate on reducing your levels throughout the day by cutting as many carbs out of your diet as you can. This will eventually result in lower fasting numbers, although be warned that the fasting levels are usually the last to come down. In my own case after around 8 years of eating low carb and having HbA1c in the non diabetic range, my fasting numbers are still the highest of the day.

Baldy1100

Wow... tgank you lots! and there was me thinking I'm really weird!
I've never been told how or when to take my meds...
Do you think I'm having them at the right times??
Or any suggestions / opinion very welcome

Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The forxiga can be taken any time of the day with or without food, the advice is to try and take it at the same time every day. The metformin needs to be taken with your meals, taking it on a empty stomach can sometimes make the side effects more severe. As all medication come with side effects and can cause other medical conditions by far the best strategy is to use your diet to control your blood sugar. As your numbers begin to come down it's possible to reduce or even come off the meds altogether. Have a look at the link for the nutritional thingy at the bottom of my post it should give you some ideas.

Reactions: Outlier

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Or any suggestions / opinion very welcome

An issue here is that your medication is struggling to help you process the carbs in your diet. There's only so much they can do to tackle the insulin resistance in your body and they typically tend to work less well as time progresses. . The traditional medication route consists of treatment via progressively stronger medication, with the final and last resort being insulin injections. (It used to be that doctors reckoned that most/many T2s ended up on insulin after ten years, but there are now more non insulin treatments which hopefully push this time scale out a bit. In any case, the drugs pretty well all have side effects, so though the stronger ones may be better at controlling your levels they tend not to be used unless the milder drugs no longer work. eg metformin is renowned for giving some people gastric issues, while forxiga gets rid of sugar by passing it out through your urine, so makes you more prone to UTIs )

The two most popular alternatives to this are
1) weight loss - some people find that losing weight can reduce or eliminate their diabetic symptoms and increased exercise can also help a bit.
2) diet - by reducing the carbohydrates that you eat to a level that your body can cope with many folk on here find that there blood sugar levels go down and they reduce or eliminate medication. This is my favourite link that explains T2 and low carb
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/
(I see @catinahat already posted this. :))