Morning Highs 7.5-9.5

Andre15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Background:
Type2 for 12 years but newbie here
Metformin and healthy diet low in carbs has kept it under control. Last year taken off some meds. as almost in normal range.

BUT. In the past 3 months have been getting morning highs that are higher than the previous nights reading
usually in the range 7.5 - 9.5 before first cuppa
Limited carbs even further but still not under control

Question:
1 Any good links to fully explain the underlying science specifically: why liver, pancreas function suddenly changed? and is a reset possible?
2 I'm on strict dietary regime already: so any foods tried by others to help reset back to no morning spikes

Thanks
Andre15

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Background:
Type2 for 12 years but newbie here
Metformin and healthy diet low in carbs has kept it under control. Last year taken off some meds. as almost in normal range.

BUT. In the past 3 months have been getting morning highs that are higher than the previous nights reading
usually in the range 7.5 - 9.5 before first cuppa
Limited carbs even further but still not under control

Question:
1 Any good links to fully explain the underlying science specifically: why liver, pancreas function suddenly changed? and is a reset possible?
2 I'm on strict dietary regime already: so any foods tried by others to help reset back to no morning spikes

Thanks
Andre15

Hi @Andre15 ,

Can I suggest that you read this page first,
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Andre15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey UrbanRacer, thanks for link. Good article.

Do you (or anyone) know of any articles explaining why this phenomenon has been triggered in me at this time - many many years after contracting this hindrance?

Health Status
My lifestyle hasn't changed significantly - low carbs, no sugar...not overweight.
One change is that I am less and less energised, so feel no enthusiasm for exercise which I didn't mind before.

Thanks
Andre15