Morning highs

Bongtodd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Waking up high in the morning was happening to me rather dramatically before bed 5-6ish mornings 15+ and no midnight snacks! They changed my regium to 2 long lasting injections one in evening one in morning, now readings in the morning are down to 4-5.. Has anyone else had to do this?? I'm worried that taking insulin before bed if sugars are lowish , might mean I go low in the night...

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
That's exactly what I take, one after breakfast and the other after supper, and quite unusually, I had a hypo last night. I woke at 1am, ravenous (that's how they affect me, although they appear to affect different people in different ways). So, yes, it can happen, but no, it's not common. (I'm assuming here that you've got your regular dose pretty much sorted.)

My "cunning plan" is just to keep some jelly beans by the side of my bed, just in case. If hypos happen regularly then decrease your evening dose, although in my experience it is all a bit more random than that - yesterday, for example, I walked for about 20 minutes around a couple of shops. Other days I can walk for an hour and have no effects at night.

To be honest jelly beans hitting their expiry date is more of an issue than hypos.

Last edited:

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Very common thing :) Your background insulin is just that, in the background so as long as it is right it won't impact your glucose level as it exists merely to keep you 'stable'. It is your quicker acting insulin which will impact your glucose levels more commonly so if that is out of your system when you go to sleep then in theory your level will remain very similar overnight. I tis scary when new but as I said, very common!