Morning highs

dot

My son's sugars are rather high in the mornings at the moment.

He normally has his evening meal around 7pm and does a test just before he goes to sleep about 10pm. Usually his bedtime test is about 8 - 9mmol.

Tests on waking have recently been around 12mmol, but were 16mmol this morning. Is it likely that his Lantus needs to be increased?

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Dot, sounds like the joys of teenage hormones!

Perhaps he could check his sugars a few times between dinner and bed for a couple of nights, to see if he's climbing towards bedtime, or if it peaks a couple of hours after dinner then drops. if thats the case, he could be going low through the night and self-correcting? (can result in being more groggy / thirsty / headachy than usual in morning) Perhaps check his sugars through the night yourself a couple of times to prove/rule it out?

May just be the insulin needing tweaked as you say - when does he take his lantus? If its during the day it might be running out? (I used to take mine at night but would be high late afternoon, I increased dose and split it - 2/3 before bed and the other 1/3 in the morning and its helped readings a lot.)

NB speak to his diabetes team / dsn etc before you make any major changes. Also, I dont know your son so am not accusing him of doing anything wrong, but I remember going off the rails myself at 13 or so - rule out any changes in his diet on his part first (snacking before bed without telling you / eating too much / wrong foods?) Again your dsn will be able to guide you on how to adjust for this, could just be a boost of short acting insulin he needs to cover what he's eating (if applicable).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi dot,

It could well be his lantus needs increasing but this would require some early morning bg tests to see what pattern develops through the night, as Cleo says its probably best to discuss this with his diabetes team.

Nigel

dot

cleo82 said:
Hi Dot, sounds like the joys of teenage hormones!
when does he take his lantus?
He does his Lantus at the same time as his evening meal novorapid. Not split

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I had this not long ago but it was just Khaleb growing and needing his basal dose increased. I put Khaleb on the scales and measured him to be quite surprised by his sudden spurt. Have you noticed the same? I did go through a few nights wondering if Khaleb was hypoing in the night and checked at a few random times before upping his dose.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dot,

One thing which may help give a muck clearer picture is to do a few evenings with a carb free meal and see what his levels do overnight. That way you don't have the quick acting insulin adding another variable.

Another thing you can try is to leave a bit of a gap after he wakes (~30 minutes ish) and see what his levels do then since it may well be DP.

As always with Lantus give is at least 3 days or so to settle once you do make a change.

Good luck

/A