1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Morning issues

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by scribble41, Jul 29, 2016.

1. scribble41

scribble41 Type 2 · Newbie

ive been reading with interest all the threads about morning readings and would like some help with my issue. I was diagnosed around4 years ago and at first coped by diet alone. I was sort of low carbing as had been on Dukan for a few years. Then I was put on metaformin and then Glicklazide but I was In denial and am on a last warning to sort myself out. I've been back on low carbs for 3 weeks. Before I go to bed my reading is around 7.3 and when I wake up it's similar I do pass urine during the night but have always done this as have a week bladder. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis so take cocodomol and ibruprofen before I go to bed. When I wake up I don't tend to eat my breakfast for 2 hours and just have a cup of tea. When I test before I eat breakfast my BG has jumped to between 10 and 11. It goes down over the day and I'm generally between 7 and 8.. I've tried eating something small when I get up but it doesn't make any difference to next reading. Any help really appreciated
    Caz

2. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was not on any medication. So what had been effective for me was simply to skip a couple of dinner a week.
    And after 2-3 weeks I was waking up to ~5.5 mmol.

Now whenever I have a high carb dinner...the morning reading goes up a little, around 6 mmol. regular low carb dinner is fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have no idea how long you have been on metformin but it does take several weeks to build up to full effect.

4. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do you put sugar in your tea.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes that could certainly do it. I am also highest in the morning and if I dont eat I will continue to slowly rise until I do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Regular ibuprofen has sugar coating. GP can give you a sugar free version. Or use kids sugar free nurofen. Give it a try instead.

7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Caz what are you eating to break your fast?
    Double cream in cooled off tea might help more. Just 2 teaspoons should fend off a liver dump.
    It is a liver dump which is giving you the rise. I believe the more carbs in your past meals the higher the rise.
    Reduce the amount of times you eat carbs and try cream or cheese cube on breaking your fast. The earlier to take cream or cheese the sooner you knock those double figures into not rearing their ugly heads. :)

8. v4victory

v4victory Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh my, that's good to know about sugar coating on ibuprofen . Thanks .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook