Morning levels

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys some advice, please. I have been off work after a complete breakdown and I am much better than I was 2 months ago. However, I do still have depressive episodes but come out of them more quickly. I have been exercising daily either walking, fitness routine or 40 laps of the pool. Whilst this is clearly helping my depression it is having zero impact on my morning BS levels. They are still mid to high 6s.

Now I actually exercise before food (Jury’s our on that one) but it hasn’t affected in being able to cope with my routine (it’s moderate not high impact and I do ensure I’m really hydrated). Is this the problem? Taking my BS before food but 45 mins after exercise. Trouble is I don’t want to wait for food longer.

2 hours After eating I often get a lower reading and 3-4 hours after I’m back to 5s.

Should I stick to my exercise regime and not worry about morning BS levels? Could exercise keep them elevated? If I don’t exercise it’s the same sort of readings. I know some is the dawn phenomena but I had hoped that this exercise would be making a difference overall to my levels. It is helping my depression.

Or is it that I’m now finding my BS levels harder to control. My last HBa1c tests have been in normal range but I haven’t had one since my breakdown.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Sally66. Depression does make one worry about things that aren't a problem in reality. Your figures sound fine to me. Any fbg below 7 is ok, and your figures after eating are good.
I found that exercise helped me with depression. If I were you I would continue with the exercise regime.

M

Member496333

Morning blood glucose levels are usually the last to fall into a normal range. However they’re also the best practical indicator of metabolic health. I wouldn’t ignore them but I also wouldn’t stress over it in the medium term. Yours aren’t especially high so won’t be causing any glucotoxicity, but they do indicate that you probably have elevated insulin levels in the morning. This should all improve in the fullness of time.

Sorry to hear about your breakdown. Hope things continue to improve for you.

Reactions: Prem51

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers guys. That is very reassuring. I need to give it time. I’ve only been really pushing the exercise for the last 2-3 weeks. I know it is doing me good in many ways.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just because it has been proven in both non diabetics and diabetics that walking after a meal reduces spike height and length, is why I would suggest light aerobic exercise after a meal.

It is a well known hack that if resistance training is performed before a carby meal, glucose (in non insulin resistant) persons literally drops into muscle.

I think the regime you are doing is better than any drug therapy, and that you should be congratulated for taking control.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers guys. That is very reassuring. I need to give it time. I’ve only been really pushing the exercise for the last 2-3 weeks. I know it is doing me good in many ways.
I'm not quite clear when you are taking your first reading? Is it when you get up or when you get back from exercise?
Your "real" FBG should be done on rising as exercise can sometimes cause elevated blood sugars (depends on the person and the type of exercise).