Morning levels

Conmc

Hi I was doing the school run this morning I tested before I drove it was 7 fasting. About 1hr later I did my pre breakfast test and it was 7.9. I noticed thought this before when i had tested before driving to work early 6.30ish. I would had maybe had a bit of toast or a banana before my pre breakfast test so put the slight rise down to this. I'm not so sure nowAny ideas on why.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Conmc and welcome to the forums. Do you have diabetes and if so what kind?

In any case, I suspect your levels are affected by the dawn phenomena, where your oh-so-helpful liver pumps out sugar first thing in the morning to help you get going in the day.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Not significant for a non diabetic, because they just pump out insulin to compensate, but tends to make levels rise for a diabetic.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
ideas on why.

Our blood sugar levels are not static, they are changing all the time. It's not just food that can affect the numbers. Our bodies getting ready to face the day, as already mentioned (Dawn Phenomenon)
Stress of any sort, physical or emotional can cause a rise. I would say that getting the kids to school on time through the morning traffic would count as both physical and emotional.
The other thing you need to bear in mind is the accuracy of our meters. All meters must comply with the same standards of plus or minus 15%.
15% of 7 mmol/l = 1.05 mmol/l
This means that with a reading of 7mmol, your actual blood sugar level was anywhere between 6 and 8 mmol/l
So small variations are in test results are really not worth worrying about unless they are showing an upward or downward trend over several tests.