Morning reading

dvd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all .. just to give you an update .. my Hb1ac last month was 40 and am still keep doing the odd blood sugar test at home .. all of my reading are well below the recommended range ..the only one is the morning one at times which is not too bad rising to 5.8 on fasting ..woukd love it to drop below 5.5 .. still kept my weight off and have been able to eat some more exciting food which i avoided in the past without my sugars rising ..

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi DVD,

Are you familiar with the 'dawn phenomenon' concept. @Brunneria first told me about this.

She was experimenting with eating a cheese string as soon as she woke up and I think recently she said that she may have changed to eating nuts of some description.

If you are experiencing DP, the idea behind eating something on waking is to fool your body into thinking that you're about to have breakfast and this stops your liver from releasing glucose.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Thanks @urbanracer

Yes indeed. I'm now aiming for a Brazil nut, on waking, but I confess I often forget!

Here's the thread. Lots of info by lots of people, if you feel like reading it. :)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pesky-dawn-phenomenon.57672/

A brazil nut on rising - what a good idea!

As a DP sufferer, if one can say that, I am always looking out for ways to get it under control. (Currently without BG test strips so can't test or control anything! It's horrible! It's like walking outside without my lipstick on !!) Many thanks Brunneria. Will feedback on it when get more test strips...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

I actually find it works best to eat the Brazil before i get out of bed, literally, as i become conscious.

When i remember. Which unfortunately, isnt always!

If i leave it until i 'get up' my bg has already risen further. :)