Why are my sugars always higher in the morning than they are when I go to bed

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much higher?

A modest rise in the the early hours is due to an increase in your liver's glucose production and is normal. This maintains blood glucose levels while you sleep. (It occurs in nondiabetic individuals as well, but if not diabetic will quickly return to normal, thanks to the insulin released in response.)

You can think of slightly higher readings, first thing in the morning, as the body preparing itself for the increased energy demands needed to wake up and ensure enough glucose is ready for use when you start to move around and become active.

Without your BG numbers, it's hard to comment further.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dawn Phenomenon. Like @LivingLightly said, it's some extra energy to start your day, a little gift from your meddling liver. ;) It's the very last number to come down, as stores are slowly depleted, so consider it a good thing. If it's going around your blood stream and getting burned off, it's no longer stored in your liver in fat cells.

Charlie29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Insincerity, Arrogance, Snakes, Wasps.
How much higher?

A modest rise in the the early hours is due to an increase in your liver's glucose production and is normal. This maintains blood glucose levels while you sleep. (It occurs in nondiabetic individuals as well, but if not diabetic will quickly return to normal, thanks to the insulin released in response.)

You can think of slightly higher readings, first thing in the morning, as the body preparing itself for the increased energy demands needed to wake up and ensure enough glucose is ready for use when you start to move around and become active.

Without your BG numbers, it's hard to comment further.
When I went to bed they were 100 but when I awoke they were 117 (5.5 - 6.5)

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dawn Phenomenon. Like @LivingLightly said, it's some extra energy to start your day, a little gift from your meddling liver. ;) It's the very last number to come down, as stores are slowly depleted, so consider it a good thing. If it's going around your blood stream and getting burned off, it's no longer stored in your liver in fat cells.

There is also a 'dawn surge' in blood pressure and heart rate. :)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
When I went to bed they were 100 but when I awoke they were 117
Ok so the dawn phenomenon is definitely a thing but, your rise was just 17 mg/dl
the accuracy standard of the meters is plus/minus 15%

Your actual level last night could have been 110 for example but your meter read a few % lower
this morning you could actually have been around the same but your meter read a few % higher

the testing methods available to us are just not accurate enough to draw any conclusions from such a small rise which can easily be explained away with the +/-15%.