Motivation

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you motivate yourself?
I'm the kind of impatient person who needs to see results straight away or I'll give up. This is hard with diabetes as all the complications seem far away and like they couldn't happen to me.

I have a problem with binging, I'll be good and then eat loads of chocolate etc everyone on here seems to had such great control of their diet but I cant seem to cope.

I know this should be a change for life but I cant come to terms with that. Any advice,?

Reactions: DJC3

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Non of us are perfect, we have all had wobbles but it does get easier with time.

cocobee.2017

Hi @Anfalas Motivation, what is that? I never feel motivated to exercise. It is self discipline + commitment that gets me there. Not motivation. If I wait for motivation, I'll be waiting forever.

I made small changes. No sugar in the house, then after a few months, no bread in the house. Make a small change every 2-3 months.

I also hv a binge eating problem but this addiction is mostly mental + also hormonal. It wasn't until I reduced my carbs that I stopped craving sweets. If u hv enough proteins in you + all the good stuff they call nutrition, the cravings will stop. I also tried meditation hypnotism + mindful eating. Have a look at sugar stop challenge app in play store. And yes heaps of patience required too, good luck

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the kind of impatient person who needs to see results straight away or I'll give up. This is hard with diabetes as all the complications seem far away and like they couldn't happen to me.

I have a problem with binging, I'll be good and then eat loads of chocolate etc everyone on here seems to had such great control of their diet but I cant seem to cope.

I know this should be a change for life but I cant come to terms with that. Any advice,?

Hi Anfalas

I agree with you that staying motivated can be tough and I completely understand the impatience you’re feeling.

I too am amazed at the stories I read on this forum but I take inspiration from them, rather than thinking I can’t do it I think ‘I want to be like that too’

I try to think of sugar as a poison - an evil white powder like something a dodgy drug dealer would peddle on a rainy street corner. I’d never take that and I figure sugar would do me just as much damage.

Ithink planning for the long term is hard, and I’ve struggled with diets in the past because Ive got bored or felt deprived. I’m following low carb high fat though and can honestly say I don’t feel either. It’s wonderful to be able to eat all the yummy food ( Cream, cheese, bacon etc) I’ve denied myself for so many years. If I miss something sweet I have sugar free jelly and cream, but there are lots of links on here to low carb sweet treats too.

Checking my BG also gives me motivation. Are you checking yours regularly? I feel really happy if I’m managing to control it and it’s worth not having that slice of cake just to see the meter in normal range 2 hrs later.

The other thing I’ve done to help with motivation is read loads around the subject. I’m currently reading The Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Its a riveting read. Also just browsing through the threads on this forum when I feel like giving up is helpful.

Stick with it, you’re not alone in this
X

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

and yet you have diabetes, so it has happened to you. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it is a today thing, not tomorrow. We all days when our discipline is not good but this a long war.
I would go with @Guzzler and @cocobee.2017 who have each made excellent comments.
Small changes really do work and when you see the fruits it does become easier with time.
I now find some foods nearly too sweet to eat as my taste buds have adapted to low carb... we're talking vegetables here!!
Good luck to you

Reactions: cocobee.2017