Type 2 Mouth missing something

Hello. I've recently gone low-carb, and the results for me have been absolutely fantastic. However, I'm finding that I'm really struggling in the evening (post 6pm) with feeling as though I'm missing something in my mouth. I don't mean I'm hungry, I just feel as though my mouth is possibly producing more saliva than usual, and feeling unsatiated. Does anyone else have similar feelings, and if so, has anybody found anything to help with it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I've recently gone low-carb, and the results for me have been absolutely fantastic. However, I'm finding that I'm really struggling in the evening (post 6pm) with feeling as though I'm missing something in my mouth. I don't mean I'm hungry, I just feel as though my mouth is possibly producing more saliva than usual, and feeling unsatiated. Does anyone else have similar feelings, and if so, has anybody found anything to help with it?
I've never experienced anything like it but hi and welcome anyway..
What kind of things are you eating before you get this feeling?
I'm guessing you have already seen daisy's greeting so won't tag her in this time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds to me like you're describing "mouth hungry" everybody gets this from time to time - it's what makes people snack you're not hungry and you don't need to eat - it's just a habit that is difficult to break, stick with it and it should pass - try drinking a nice cold glass of sparkling water with lemon, I also find cleaning my teeth helps.

If you do all that and still feel the need try a low carb snack like celery with a blob of cream cheese or pate, a boiled egg or a baby bel cheese. Sometimes on very low carb way of eating, if you aren't using any processed foods you can lack salt, try a cup of bullion this can help

M

Member496333

Could this potentially be mild neuropathy in the tongue resulting in slight numbness? I’ve heard that this can be a thing, although obviously I’m clutching at straws in this instance.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes feel like that in the evening. A cup of tea normally makes it go away, or a coffee with cream.

Reactions: brainnotyetdead

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I find that that’s when I want something I don’t need like something sweet.

I have it now funnily enough but think that’s a response to my cooker panic lol!!

I’m not hungry (but sugars are in 4s) so need to eat.

But my mouth just tastes bland, almost nothingness. Not numb in any shape or form just like it needs something.

I usually assume that something is something sweet and lovely.

Not sure if this is what you mean.

If I get that I have a hot choc.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

i think I know what you mean... did you used to graze a bit in the evenings before low carb? I find just a few nuts (brazils, pecan or walnuts) help if I feel I need a little something else in the evening or maybe a small piece of cheese or 80%+ chocolate broken in to little bits.