• Total voters

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the website useful for?
everything. How to live the way you do now but in a different country. How to access equivalent services. Where to find things. Who to ask. Visas, understanding and contacting work opportunities, selection and understanding of where to live, making contact with expats living in those places, understanding rules and regulations and being pointed to how to access official sources of info how to get access to tax, health.
We were greeted in our first week by people I met online there. Shown around, told how things work, introduced to our first new friends etc etc etc

In short, have a question ask it there and get some answers. Feel immensely less isolated and alone. People that have been there and done that. Don’t underestimate how different the culture can be just because it is western and English speaking

I loved the experience and would have found a way without the website but boy did it make it smoother.

ES3

It was a couple of years ago when we were looking into it, I visited a couple of forums where ex-pats were sharing information with people thinking about moving to the US, so none were diabetes-specific and were just sharing how much their monthly copays were for doctors or hospital visits (IIRC it was in the low thousands of dollars per month for couples without pre-existing conditions), we never got as far as specific insurance providers as it wouldn't have been a job transfer and companies don't tend to share specifics with prospective employees. The amounts people were paying for their copays put us off sufficiently :hilarious: I know from various sources over the years that insurance providers can be very restrictive in what they will let you have for your diabetes, for example not letting you have as many test strips as you might need or only letting you have a certain type of insulin.
Sorry if that's not very helpful, you might be better off seeing if there's a US diabetes forum to see if you can get an idea of costs, as I said it was a couple of years ago when we were looking so I can't provide any useful specific information
No honestly I had no information at all so this is all very helpful so I really appreciate it.

Reactions: sleepster

ES3

everything. How to live the way you do now but in a different country. How to access equivalent services. Where to find things. Who to ask. Visas, understanding and contacting work opportunities, selection and understanding of where to live, making contact with expats living in those places, understanding rules and regulations and being pointed to how to access official sources of info how to get access to tax, health.
We were greeted in our first week by people I met online there. Shown around, told how things work, introduced to our first new friends etc etc etc

In short, have a question ask it there and get some answers. Feel immensely less isolated and alone. People that have been there and done that. Don’t underestimate how different the culture can be just because it is western and English speaking

I loved the experience and would have found a way without the website but boy did it make it smoother.
Oh wow, yeah thats sounds great, ill do my research, thank you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oh wow, yeah thats sounds great, ill do my research, thank you.

You better .... @HSSS is 1000% right. Emigration to the United States is NOT for the faint of heart

EDIT TO ADD - I know it back to front

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541