Moving off novomix

Jgibbo13

afternoon all, so was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago and been on novomix 70/30 for about 3 weeks. Spoke to nurse and she has agreed to move me onto a long lasting and fast acting regime. I will talk to nurse, but how do you start from a dosage point of view? How many untis vs carbs at mealtime? How do you measure the long lasting? Night times are the area of concern for me. I have been going to bed at relatively good levels, but always wake up to higher levels than I am aiming for. Worried about increasing night time dosage as dont want to go to low at night. Apologies for long post.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
your nurse will work out a regime for both insulins for you as a starting point then adjust accordingly as time goes on you will learn how to carb count and then you will have better control of bgs everyones ratios are different but you will get there :)

Reactions: Jgibbo13

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You will have much better control with the Basal/Bolus insulin regime. The Basal will be set so that your BS remains stable when fasting e.g. overnight. The bolus will be set based on your gained experience of the best carb/Bolus ratio. Most people are started at around 1 unit of Bolus to 10gm of carb but it does vary from person to person and your DN should start you with a safe ratio. Don't worry about overnight hypos as long as you test before bed and don't take any Bolus within a few hours of bedtime so that you know where you are.

MarkHaZ123

afternoon all, so was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago and been on novomix 70/30 for about 3 weeks. Spoke to nurse and she has agreed to move me onto a long lasting and fast acting regime. I will talk to nurse, but how do you start from a dosage point of view? How many untis vs carbs at mealtime? How do you measure the long lasting? Night times are the area of concern for me. I have been going to bed at relatively good levels, but always wake up to higher levels than I am aiming for. Worried about increasing night time dosage as dont want to go to low at night. Apologies for long post.
Novomix is awful. You don't get any control with it at all so you will notice a difference straight away with that.
I was on Novomix for 3 months and my morning readings were always OK but night time reading were always high

If you want to get good control then the Dafne course is good for it. I made sure I did this straight away. You learn how to carb count for insulin doses

As has already been said you generally have 1 unit for every 10g of carbs but various foods might be longer lasting so you might need to lower doses slightly

It's all about playing with the insulin to match your needs as we all have different reactions. Make sure you ask the nurse every question you have