1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Moving to Majorca

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Carterbpool, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Carterbpool

Carterbpool Type 1 · Member

Hi all I hoping someone could possibly point me in the right direction.

I’ve been offered a great job in Majorca and without thinking I’ve accepted.

Now the realities hit me and started to sink in about managing my diabetes in Spain.

I’m not in the best of health and am on insulin, metmorfin, statins and tablets for high blood pressure.

Am I better off keeping to my doctors here? How much is medication over in Spain? Is it easy to get?

I will be paying into the Spanish system and have for now my EHIC card?

I got so excited by the job, I just never thought about the consequences. I would appreciate any help or guidance where to start

Thank you

2. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Any EU citizen who intends to live in Spain for more than 3 months has to register with the authorities.

http://extranjeros.mitramiss.gob.es/

This page tells you all about accessing healthcare in Spain. If you are working and paying tax and social secirity payments in Spain then you are entitled to access healthcare.

http://www.seg-social.es/wps/portal/wss/internet/Trabajadores?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/POIN_Contenidos_en/Internet/4983/10935/10938/

Prescriptions are not free in Spain, you will have to pay part of the cost.

http://www.seg-social.es/wps/portal/wss/internet/Inicio#30489

If you are not a UK resident, and paying Tax & SS in Spain then I don't think you should remain registered with a UK GP

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carterbpool

Carterbpool Type 1 · Member

Thank you great advice

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, that's an extremely useful post but I guess there is one big elephant in the room

Brexit.....

I'd be hesitant about making any plans until knowing what kind of Brexit is happening

Hard, soft, delayed....?

Scrambled ?

Presumably a hard Brexit would mean that the OP is not an EU citizen....

5. TTTE

TTTE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whatever you do don't give up your UK doctor. If the brown smelly stuff hits the fan and you have to come back to the UK access to health care is one thing you don't want to have to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook