1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Moving to the Opposite Side of the World

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Listlad, Jun 2, 2019.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

That reads as sarcasm, not sure that it’s warranted though. Perhaps it was meant to be funny.

I’ll qualify - in my experience of having lived in both countries the food in Australia really is much the same as the uk

2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I concur. The only difference really in AU is that they eat “snags” instead of sausages and “chooks” instead of chickens :D

Granted it’s conceivable that their meat consumption is comparatively high owing to almost year round barbecue weather, but otherwise I’d say that their diet is broadly similar to the UK.

3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I find that Aussie burgers are quite different to UK ones. I just can't eat the Aussie ones and my cousin from Sydney can't eat UK ones. I don't like Aussie fish and chips either.

4. HSSS

Never could taste the difference in burgers other than the inclusion of beetroot. They do have some different fish in takeaways, I rather liked some of them. Maybe it’s those low carb potatoes messing around with tastebuds

5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

It's not so much the taste... More the texture. I do eat meat but am not keen on alot of it. The Aussie ones are just too meaty and too chewy for me. Strangely that's what my cousin says about ours too.

6. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

What? Kangaroo burgers, ostrich meat and emu eggs? :D

#26 Listlad, Jun 2, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  7. HSSS

The Roos I saw were in my garden not on my plate.

Didnt saw these stacked up in the normal supermarkets (possibly in a butchers now and then) and just for reference you can get the first two occasionally in Lidl here too. There was one local restaurant that did these along with croc meat and a few other specialities but that’s what they are specialties not everyday meats. The only times I’ve eaten these meats have been in the UK

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Listlad

Two crocodile sandwiches please and make it snappy!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I never get tired of that joke!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Listlad

Me neither. It’s a real gem, :D

11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Wrong country for ostriches try Seth Efrica, the ostrich farms went bust years ago here in Queensland.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

About a year after I was diagnosed, I wasn't very well for a time and spent most of the day sleeping, and woke around 4.30-5pm to feed dogs and myself. Glucose levels showed quite clearly that my "dawn" phenomenon had followed this pattern, and turned into a "wake up late afternoon" spike, which quite intrigued me!

Robbity

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook