ManthaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello again!

All your replies were extremely helpful and you gave us a lot of info about moving to the UK. My fiance talked to the GP today and he found out even more. But there is something that terrified me a little bit and I would love to hear your opinions and experiences on that.

She told him that there is a chance I may be told to get off the pump..
Could this really happen?
I've been using it since 2012 and just got the change to a new one approved. All recommended and approved by Greek doctors and the Greek government. It's been a lifesaver for me, especially since I was diagnosed with MS in 2014, since I sometimes need to be on steroid treatment for my flare-ups, that drive my BGs insane!

Is there really a possibility I will be told to go back to injections?

Again, thanks for all your time and replies!

D

Deleted Account

Pump supplies are funded by the NHS and they are more expensive than injections.
Therefore, any pump expenses need to be justified.
So, sure, there is a "possibility" you may be told to go back to injections.

However, if you can justify the value the pump gives you and, if you have just had a new one, the NHS will not have to fund the pump itself for 4 years, in my opinion, the chances of you losing your pump will be rare. That does not mean you should not be ready for a bit of a battle against some British bureaucracy.

Reactions: ManthaK

ManthaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pump supplies are funded by the NHS and they are more expensive than injections.
Therefore, any pump expenses need to be justified.
So, sure, there is a "possibility" you may be told to go back to injections.

However, if you can justify the value the pump gives you and, if you have just had a new one, the NHS will not have to fund the pump itself for 4 years, in my opinion, the chances of you losing your pump will be rare. That does not mean you should not be ready for a bit of a battle against some British bureaucracy.

Thank you for your reply!
My pump is brand new, here in Greece you can get a new one every 5 years. One of the main reasons it was approved was my A1c which is better now, and another was the whole MS thing which does not exactly make my life easier. I hope it won't come to going back to injections. Before MS I was at 5 injections/day, who knows how many I may need now!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
She told him that there is a chance I may be told to get off the pump..
Could this really happen?
I've been using it since 2012 and just got the change to a new one approved. All recommended and approved by Greek doctors and the Greek government. It's been a lifesaver for me, especially since I was diagnosed with MS in 2014, since I sometimes need to be on steroid treatment for my flare-ups, that drive my BGs insane!

Is there really a possibility I will be told to go back to injections?

Don't worry, I think you will find that your care will continue exactly as it is do make sure you have at least 3 months worth of pump supplies before you come to the uk though.
To reassure yourself have you contacted INPUT http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ I'm sure they will be able to help with your questions and if not will know someone who can.

ManthaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry, I think you will find that your care will continue exactly as it is do make sure you have at least 3 months worth of pump supplies before you come to the uk though.
To reassure yourself have you contacted INPUT http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ I'm sure they will be able to help with your questions and if not will know someone who can.

Thank you for your reply! :) I'll contact INPUT as soon as possible to find out more.
I really don't think I would have to change back to injections, especially under the circumstances, but I have to be sure just in case.

Reactions: CarbsRok