Moving to the UK with Diabetes-1

Johan

Dear all.

I am currently considering a job offer from a UK university.
However, before I accept the position I would like to know little bit more about diabetes treatment and the cost of it in the UK.
I am an EU citizen, so it is my understanding that the NHS will cover part of my treatment, but how much of it?
I am therefore looking for an answer to a couple of questinos:
how much diabetes costs for you?
Does the NHS cover insulin ?
Test-strips ?
Visits to a GP?
Do I need a private health insurance in the UK?
Is it even possible to get an insurance, when you are already diagnosed?
And is there anyone who had first hand experience with moving to the UK with type-1 ?

I hope there is someone who can answer some of my questions, if not all of them.

Thank you in advance

Best, Johan.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Johann and welcome to the Forum

A useful link is: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/h ... abroad.htm

As I understand it, you would be eligible to register with a local doctor (GP) and get free treatment there and at hospital. Once registered with a GP, you may be eligible to apply for a medical exemption certificate. That will, when you receive it, as a person with diabetes being treated with medication, allow you to have free medications (including insulin) and test strips. The exemption would cover all medications and not just those required for your diabetes.

Hope this helps

Doug

veizy

Hi Johan. I came to UK in September 2012 to study in university and have been here quite a lot of time now, I have diabetes type 1. My advice is, go for it, don't let your worries stop you. The insulin is free, the test strips are FREE (they are not in my country so this was a big financial relief for me) - and you can get prescription for test strips however often you want, I've been using around 100 strips per week recently. No one seems to mind. I've also got needle prescription a couple of times, free. Only thing I gave money for is my BG monitoring sistem, because I used Accu Chek Performa and they didn't have test strips for it. And I bought it before I went to NHS so I'm pretty sure a BG monitoring system is available for prescription as well.
Not sure about the registering questions, I just ticked on a document for registering with NHS that I have diabetes, and I was asked to go on a annual diabetes check, where they tested my hbc1 level. My levels were 5.8, so life in UK hasn't affected me I suppose. As for food, it is not that different I imagine from everywhere, given they have Lidls and Metro and Tesco so you'll get whatever groceries you need. I spent around 80 pounds on food monthly.
Hope that this helps and I'll be happy to answer any other questions. Cheer up and good luck with your exams.
EDIT - I just realised you said job, so I don't know if the case with free thins is the same for non-students... I hope someone more competent than me will help with this

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
100 strips a week !!!!! You test 13 times a day !!!!!! Unbelievable. You don't think this is a little excessive ?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Veizy

100 strips a week. I don't think it will very long before your test strip requests are reviewed by the Practice Manager.

100 strips last me nearly three weeks.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
To be honest, I think it's people like that who use excessive amounts of strips that makes it difficult for some to get any ! And forgive my maths, that's 14 a day ! Enjoy your free NHS strips ! However, realistically, nothing is free ! They are being paid for by taxpayers !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

D

Deleted member 45091

Sad state of affairs when someone outside the UK wants to come here for job prospects etc, and the first thing we click upon is the 100 tests strips a week. I welcome anyone coming to the UK for the right reasons and yes the majority of things regarding your diabetes will be free. But it takes the **** when diabetics from the UK are struggling to get enough for themselfs, i myself buy my strips if i need extra and i dont even work...welcome to britain 2013.. ive got nothing against people outside UK but iam sick of the foreigners geting priority over people that were born here its not there fault its our stupid weak government.....note to one self get a fake passport change my name then maybe i will get on in MY OWN COUNTRY

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Steady on folks. I really do not like the way this thread is going. Remember that we are the famed caring lot. If someone who has diabetes has managed to get 100 testing strips because of their particular medical circumstances, we should say well done and now let us redouble our efforts to get what we need - no matter what their country of origin. I have seen it in so many places - "I have nothing against foreigners but......." Do you know that it is because of their country of origin that they are being allowed to test so often? Do you know the person's medical circumstances that may speak to their doctor's prescribing? I am really saddened that we are going down the path that this thread is going.

Doug

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Doug, I have made no reference to any persons nationality if you read my comments again. I don't care where you come from, 14 tests a day is ridiculous. The NHS is not a bottomless pit. I would rather see more people receiving a sensible amount free than a few being excessive. What do you think would happen if we all went through 100 per week ? Where would the money come from ? What cuts would have to be made elsewhere ? Our NHS has a finite budget, we should cherish it, not encourage others to abuse it.

Stevomoff

I agree with Doug, if you test when you wake, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner and before bed, that's a fair few times. Throw in the odd hypo and a few more test strips! Take it up with your GP if you have an issue! If they won't let you have them, it's for a reason surely? I've never had a problem getting them. I suppose it all depends on how changeable your sugars are?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Your calculations come to 7 a day. Even if you throw in the odd hypo, nowhere near 14 a day. I also note you have never had any trouble getting test strips ! Maybe if you did, you would think differently. I'm not some NHS crusader trying to ration treatment for anyone ! In an ideal world where money was no object, I'd like to see pumps for everyone that wanted them, unlimited test strips and more regular foot/eye screening etc but unfortunately there is a limited budget. If we all abuse the system, they will end up being rationed eventually for sure.

Stevomoff

That's the reason we all pay taxes, I've paid my share over the years and don't claim anything else, he must have his reasons for testing so frequently? If he wants to shred his fingers 14 times a day let him! He has a right to know how his sugars are! For all you know he's got a very active lifestyle.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can see why people are getting annoyed by the fact someone gets enough strips to test so often, I myself have in the oast had many issues getting test strios and would onky get 50 strips a time till I got my diabetes team at the hospital involved to help myself get the amount needed. Still testing that often does seem excessive, how are you going to be able to see any patterns or how difderent foods and drinks effect ya bg's without leaving time for the effects to happen to enable you to get tge best control possible.

Just saying,

Kelly :)

veizy

Pardon me - I miscalculated (forgot there are 25 strips per packet). I use around 5 strips a day. I realise it would have been absurd otherwise. I just wanted to make the point that you don't need to pay for them, which was a burden for me as well until now and will be once more when I leave uni and start paying to help others get strips as well. Forgive me.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks for clearing that up ! I agree, 100 a week would have been absurd ! Good luck with your studies !

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hang on - obviosuly some people don't understand individual circumstances here. If you're on a pump/MDI and calculate your CH you need to test before and after every meal and everything else you eat so that could easily be 8 straight off. Then you need to test before driving so that could be another 2-4 and every 2 hrs if driving a long distance so were up to 10-12 already . That's without any odd feelings because of hypos/hypers and testing during the night for those of us who either have problems with lows or those of us who suffer with fear of night time hypos. 14 does not appear to be excessive then does it?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I still think 14 is excessive, bordering on compulsive ! Even the poster said it was absurd ! If there are genuine reasons behind it, that's cool ! To encourage others to try to do the same is not cool ! As I keep mentioning, there are budgets for everything. I'd rather see 3 people get 4 or 5 each a day than 1 person get 14 or 15 ! Simple !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Riri said:
Hang on - obviosuly some people don't understand individual circumstances here. If you're on a pump/MDI and calculate your CH you need to test before and after every meal and everything else you eat so that could easily be 8 straight off. Then you need to test before driving so that could be another 2-4 and every 2 hrs if driving a long distance so were up to 10-12 already . That's without any odd feelings because of hypos/hypers and testing during the night for those of us who either have problems with lows or those of us who suffer with fear of night time hypos. 14 does not appear to be excessive then does it?

Agreed. A "normal" day I'm doing about 8 or 9 as I try and coincide my pre-driving tests with just before meals ie I test when I get in the car for work then eat at my desk straight away. Eliminates 1 test a day that way! But sometimes I go out in the evenings so that's 2 more tests for driving there and back, then the "funny feeling" (I'm new to this, if I feel odd I test. I don't know my body cues yet) and the occasional through the night test.

14 isn't what I'd test EVERY day but it has happened before. Then if I have a grazing day...... My fingers are a touch holey but I'm safe! 100 strips doesn't go very far for some of us!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Many thanks for clarifying the situation,Veizy. You have no need to apologise. For the Forum moderators, may I say sorry that your posting of encouragement has been jumped upon by forum members. It is sad how quickly people rush to judgement and condemnation without knowing,or asking about, the full facts of the situation. I hope that it has not put you off being a valued member of the forum.

Warm regards

Doug