MRI scans with insulin pumps

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm thinking in advance here as I'm newly-diagnosed and my advisor said we could think about a pump in 1-5 years' time. But I have a big question around it.
I have a BRCA gene mutation which means I currently have MRI scans once a year as I'm high risk for breast cancer. Of course I realise that insulin pumps themselves can't go into the machine, but I don't know anything about how they're hooked up. Would it be a massive issue to have to disconnect/take out any metal once a year? Does anyone with a pump have experience of needing MRIs?

Thank you!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A tubey pump has a non metallic cannula at the end of the tube. This allows the pump to be temporarily disconnected for an MRI scan.
A patch pump will have to be completely removed but all pumps need to be changed (new cannula inserted and cartridge filled) every 3 or 4 days so restarting a new pump set is not a big thing.

I have had both tubey and patch pumps and had MRI scans and x-rays requiring pump disconnection.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My pump set-up has a metallic needle in the insert patch, so must totally come out. Not a big deal though, you can even stick the same needle back on afterwards if you're OK with its cleanliness.
Must note here - taking the pump off and leaving in your bag in the MRI room is not acceptable. The magnetic field covers quite a distance. I usually ask one of the techs to take it into the shielded room they work in, and had no problems so far.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As said above its very easy, take a new cannula set for a tubed pump or replacement for patch pump. Most scans take 15 to 20 mins or less and you can pre-bolus for missed basal or just catch up once its all finished.