Music Fan?

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I trust these are all in order year ascending lol :-/

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For sheer, raw emotion this is hard to beat - made me cry when I first heard it, and it still does.

lol Not sure I should have listened to this one right now! Just thought of two more for my list Marianne Faithful - As Tears Go By and The Ballad of Lucy Jordan. OK, I think I see what sort of day today is going to be, - looking forward to tomorrow.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
lol Not sure I should have listened to this one right now! Just thought of two more for my list Marianne Faithful - As Tears Go By and The Ballad of Lucy Jordan. OK, I think I see what sort of day today is going to be, - looking forward to tomorrow.

Mmm, sorry about that Zand :facepalm:

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What!! Motown !! Soul:eek: I would like to add Otis Redding, Wilson Picket Ben E King and Lee Dorsey:)

One of the best singers and live acts I have seen was Jackie Wilson!
Brought up on southern soul, Otis, Aretha, James Brown, et al
Started learning Motown, all the girl bands, favourites the Marvelettes, at the right age to join in the rise of the Jacksons. margin Gaye, TammiTerrel, Martha Reeves,
Got into Northern soul, and have a song database of something around 5000 songs Motown, Philly sound and that genre.

Best new artist and singer, this century, Ce Lo Green!

Favourite lady singer, no, not Miss Ross! A lady singer called Chris Clark?

'Do I love you? Indeed I Do! Top, top northern Soul tune!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
One of the best produced (Trevor Horn) songs from Propaganda (1984) - turn it up!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
One of the best singers and live acts I have seen was Jackie Wilson!
Brought up on southern soul, Otis, Aretha, James Brown, et al
Started learning Motown, all the girl bands, favourites the Marvelettes, at the right age to join in the rise of the Jacksons. margin Gaye, TammiTerrel, Martha Reeves,
Got into Northern soul, and have a song database of something around 5000 songs Motown, Philly sound and that genre.

Best new artist and singer, this century, Ce Lo Green!

Favourite lady singer, no, not Miss Ross! A lady singer called Chris Clark?

'Do I love you? Indeed I Do! Top, top northern Soul tune!

I also used to listen to Alexander O'Neil, the wonderfully talented Al Green( a lot) but the list is endless.I am going to put some favourites on today, Martha Reeves, Junior Walker, Rufus Thomas, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, and what about James Brown's It's a man's world, Bob and Earl, Harlem shuffle, Ben E king's Spanish Harlem, top artists:D Oh it's bringing back so many wonderful memories. At the moment I am tuned into a song I heard on the radio, RUDE by Magic, a Canadian group, :D I will have to make a list of my favourite songs and types, not all Soul though..

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brilliant cover of Tim Buckley song by This Mortal Coil (well basically Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins).

Good to play while driving at night.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also used to listen to Alexander O'Neil, the wonderfully talented Al Green( a lot) but the list is endless.I am going to put some favourites on today, Martha Reeves, Junior Walker, Rufus Thomas, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, and what about James Brown's It's a man's world, Bob and Earl, Harlem shuffle, Ben E king's Spanish Harlem, top artists:D Oh it's bringing back so many wonderful memories. At the moment I am tuned into a song I heard on the radio, RUDE by Magic, a Canadian group, :D I will have to make a list of my favourite songs and types, not all Soul though..
I agree about Al Green, superb talent and voice, Junior Walker saxophonist supreme! Alex O' great voice after a few great hits, then what?
Archie Bell? jimmy and David Ruffin solo stuff? Biggest band in the world - Earth, Wind and Fire?
Eddie Holman, Eddie Kendricks solo.

My best local soul group - The Real Thing.

Best live performance - Edwin Starr. War! What is it good for? Nothing!

Any more?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK @Robinredbreast and @nosher8355 - I generally like most of your other posts, bit I really don't 'get' your music. You are speaking a different language to me. :sorry:

Oh, just noticed Earth Wind & Fire! That's better.

iHs

Any group or singer that can sing and play well does it for me. Ive enjoyed many types of music over the years and been to loads of concerts. The best group was Dr Feelgood....their concerts were always a sell out and people stood queing for hours hoping to get a ticket.
My OH often listens to unknown artists perform on radio and spots the talent on Jools. Cara Emerald was great to watch in concert and as a Johnny Cash fan.......Jake Bugg with his distinct way of singing and guitar playing

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK @Robinredbreast and @nosher8355 - I generally like most of your other posts, bit I really don't 'get' your music. You are speaking a different language to me. :sorry:

Oh, just noticed Earth Wind & Fire! That's better.
I was brought up on music, heavy on bass guitar and drums, with a rhythm and blues beat. Structured with backing musicians that played composition music.
Since the rock n roll era, mainly pop music was drums and guitars. And don't get me on about all the new genres that have occurred since!!!!

I like my music so that I can appreciate a singers voice, not a synthesiser and it still doesn't work, if you asked a modern singer to sing without a mike, they wouldn't 't know what to do! And Understand the words, good music that has rhythm and soul.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Holos
Any group or singer that can sing and play well does it for me. Ive enjoyed many types of music over the years and been to loads of concerts. The best group was Dr Feelgood....their concerts were always a sell out and people stood queing for hours hoping to get a ticket.
My OH often listens to unknown artists perform on radio and spots the talent on Jools. Cara Emerald was great to watch in concert and as a Johnny Cash fan.......Jake Bugg with his distinct way of singing and guitar playing

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
jools holland was influenced hugely by Motown!

Here is a question. Which well known british artist once was turned down by the The Isley Brothers at an audition for keyboards?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Steve Winwood

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
For sheer, raw emotion this is hard to beat - made me cry when I first heard it, and it still does.

I must say that I prefer the original version of this song over Johnny Cash's cover.