Music Lessons in the potting shed

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@gennepher we musicians have a saying "time to take the axe out to the woodshed", meaning, time to put in some practising on the instrument. Woodshed, potting shed, makes no difference.
How is your Hildegard listening coming? Do you find it easier yet? I understand it's calming, but how hard do you have to work to process that?
No reveal of next step just yet .... ;)

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher we musicians have a saying "time to take the axe out to the woodshed", meaning, time to put in some practising on the instrument. Woodshed, potting shed, makes no difference.
How is your Hildegard listening coming? Do you find it easier yet? I understand it's calming, but how hard do you have to work to process that?
No reveal of next step just yet .... ;)

Yesterday I had it on all afternoon in the potting shed.
Stupid problems with the app had me tremendously frustrated.
So am trying to stream the music by bluetooth from iPhone to speech processor. But there is something wrong with app/maybe processor(because both hospital technicians was thinking that when trying to install app and it was only connecting intermittently to app and also cutting out when streaming music)/something else/interference/whatever.
Because I am getting a lot of clicks for no reason in the processor. The streaming of Hildegard was intermittent and frustrating. And more stuff.
Before the processor app I rarely used Bluetooth. I only used it when necessary to transfer files etc, then it was turned off.
I was getting invites to join Jayne’s watch??? Then iPhone was attempting to find another device (but all my devices are off totally and their bluetooth off etc)

So this was messing with my listening. Blooming technology.

Finally I tried listening to the music just coming from the phone, but not good enough.

Then I remembered a portable speaker I bought a couple of years ago. The hospital had changed my programming with the old processor too dramatically and nearly sent my brain awol. I did have a breakdown then. Cochlear said they shouldn’t have done that and should have only been done in the smallest of increments.

This is just some background information I think you should have.

But the portable speaker didn’t help at all then. And I sort of abandoned it. But got it out yesterday afternoon. It’s rechargeable. Maybe a bit on the lines of Bose speaker you talked of before. (Bose have a shop at a designer clearance centre not far from here)
Link to little ION speaker I have so you know what I am listening through yesterday ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ION-Audio-Plunge-Ultra-Portable-Rechargeable/dp/B01BHX75ZG

So I put the speaker on in potting shed. Forget about Bluetooth by now, it is driving me demented. So connected it by jackplug to iPhone.

Much much better.

The music is now around me, instead of just feeling like from some distant far away place landing into my head directly via the artificial wires in the cochlear in my head.

And none of the annoying clicks and stuff which the Bluetooth connectivity is doing. Which is not helping actually listening to the Hildegard music.

I went in to make a cuppa (left it playing) and came back to the potting shed. That was when I realised the sound was in the garden. And obviously I presume the neighbours could probably hear it. My garden is a wild overgrown garden full of wild flowers and greenery and with many wild birds who are used to me.

So basically I was standing in the cathedral of my garden with the bluetits eating the greenfly, the male blackbird going to and fro feeding his babies, and the little Jenny wren who for the last two weeks has been following me from branch to branch as I walk to the potting shed. As soon as I open the bungalow door to the garden, she flies to me and looks at me. I haven’t figured out if she has a birdsong yet or how to identity it.

And I have this strange sensation (to me), of this gentle Hildegard music around me. It is like it is in the air. (What my neighbours heard of it I don’t know). This is magic. It is like a gentleness all round me.

Forget about streaming directly via Bluetooth into my head, it doesn’t have same sensation you were talking about earlier.

You were talking earlier about feeling music in different ways. You cannot do that streaming music direct into my head.

I understand a bit more what you mean now about feeling the music.

You asked this question, before I wrote a “book” above...

“How is your Hildegard listening coming? Do you find it easier yet? I understand it's calming, but how hard do you have to work to process that?”

Again that isn’t quite a simple answer.
First of all with the sound around me, and I leave a radio on in the bungalow (I don’t have a television anymore, I got visual migraines trying to read the subtitles) so I have sound around me (I live alone, so I do not get natural daily practice listening to words) and so the brain is still constantly trying to work out the noises and words etc. Sounds still frighten and startle me because Brain cannot work out what they are. Brain doesn’t have a baseline to work from.

The Hildegard listening with my ION speaker (so no direct streaming to my head), appears to mean that Brain is calm, because Brain does not have to work at a constant fast rate as it does the all rest of the time all day to figure out sound and the details of sound.

The Hildegard listening means Brain can be still. It does not have to work out anything with that kind of sound. And in being still, it allows me to be calm. so it isn’t hard work. It is effortless.

I need another coffee now!

Catch you later
>^..^<

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Short answer hugs for awful stuff and "yessssssss" for Hildegard Brain Calm.
More later. You are something else, girl!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Short answer hugs for awful stuff and "yessssssss" for Hildegard Brain Calm.
More later. You are something else, girl!

Thank you :)
Gradually it is changing what I am hearing from Voices of Angels.
Today I am listening to it in the potting shed again on that ION speaker.
The sound is changing today, so that I am hearing more in the voice/s.
I am hearing high notes now.
Yesterday the singing was more even, more monotonous might be the word, but I don't mean that in a boring way.

Difficult for me to explain properly because I don't have, or know the words to explain this.

All I can express is that Brain is differentiating the something's within the voice. I don't have a comparison to explain this.

I did listen several hours yesterday to Voices of Angels. Today about possibly two hours non stop so far. I suppose doing it non-stop like this is giving Brain a chance to work out stuff in the voices.

But tomorrow, after listening to other stuff in between, it may not begin where I have got to today with Voices of Angels. Brain may have to learn again. But maybe not...

However (to explain) each morning when I put the previous older speech processor on, I couldn't make out anything at all for half an hour or an hour or so, all sounds were jumbled up into distortion. This was normal I was told by the hospital this would always be because Brain was adjusting each and every day, and also to expect sounds to be jumbled and distorted when I was tired or ill

With this new speech processor I haven't had that morning half hour or hour or so of jumbled horribly distorted sound from the moment I put the speech processor on. Sound is now as it is the moment I put it on for the rest of the day, which is much better.

With the old speech processor I didn't want to put it in of a morning (I am not the only cochlear implantee I know who feels like this).

One more thing before I write a "book" again. I don't have the words to explain...I can almost see in my mind, faces to go with this singing, with cheeks going in, sucking in of breath...it feels like there are facial expressions to go with the singing.

You don't have to reply to all I write. But when something changes with Voices of Angels I will write it down here.

I probably will have time for another long listening session tomorrow, a shorter session on Tuesday, but then I am tied up for a few days until I can start again.

I think you are busy today, so have a good day.
>^..^<

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I feel like I'm being terribly nosy I had to Youtube Hildegard and very nice it is too.
I like one of the comments .... Imagine approaching a cathedral in medieval times no radio no hifi etc occasional lute player down the pub and then you hear the sound of angels coming out the building ..... must have been incredible!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel like I'm being terribly nosy I had to Youtube Hildegard and very nice it is too.
I like one of the comments .... Imagine approaching a cathedral in medieval times no radio no hifi etc occasional lute player down the pub and then you hear the sound of angels coming out the building ..... must have been incredible!
Hi :)
That’s fine.
It must have been amazing!
>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @JTL ! Glad you like the chant! We're on the interwebs... nosy is not relevant
@gennepher I am very invested in what I'm trying to give you the tools for!! I write books too in case you didn't notice
Yes, using the best speaker you can use is very important to what you hear, and you are SO right not to stream the music straight to the processor. that ION speaker is quite the camping/boating buddy, it appears. If you win the lottery, invest in one of these:
IMG_8275.jpg
It is an audiophile's portable speaker. It will give you the best fidelity of sound waves.
Side note here. You mentioned certain noises being painful. Many hearing folk experience them as pain also, and I'm one of them. Turn your devices off when you go in a public restroom-- ours now have extremely high speed air dryers which are automatic, so they may turn on as someone walks past them. It is a hideous sound. You Do Not want to deal with it.
What I want your processor to be presented with as our beginning, is the most absolutely pure sound available to us. That would actually be a machine-generated sine wave (how much science do you enjoy?), but we don't have that, so the female voice is what we're using.
Gosh. This is a big project! How much are you interested in learning about the physics of music, of sound, about music theory and reading music? (Written music is going to be handy to you, to explain what you meant when you said that the music was sounding different.) I believe you were differentiating among higher and lower pitch (frequency) sounds!!! This is what it's all about. So here's a visual of what the musicians on that recording are looking at when they sing:
IMG_8276.jpg
pay no attention to the Latin writing. Those are the words they're singing. But the music itself is represented by the little diamond shaped marks on and between the horizontal sets of lines. You can see that they can be said to "go upwards" and "go downwards". All music does that. Up and down in all its infinite combinations is sound in general, and if done correctly, all music. The "notes" also progress as Western languages are read. Top left to right on down, just as we read a book. And that's enough music theory for now...
My plan is to introduce Processor and Brain (and Heart! And Mind as differentiated from Brain but especially Heart as you progress) to progressively more complicated combinations of sounds. Very slowly, at your pace. You'll be bombarded with disorganized noise from dawn til dusk from the world in general, but you need an oasis of pure music to heal you and Brain. Cochlear knows nothing about what I'm talking about, more's the pity.
I'll be back. Believe me, your descriptions of the things you don't have words for are actually pretty clear to me! So write down your thoughts here when you can, and I'll work on how I want to go about this teaching.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JTL ! Glad you like the chant! We're on the interwebs... nosy is not relevant
@gennepher I am very invested in what I'm trying to give you the tools for!! I write books too in case you didn't notice
Yes, using the best speaker you can use is very important to what you hear, and you are SO right not to stream the music straight to the processor. that ION speaker is quite the camping/boating buddy, it appears. If you win the lottery, invest in one of these: View attachment 32760 It is an audiophile's portable speaker. It will give you the best fidelity of sound waves.
Side note here. You mentioned certain noises being painful. Many hearing folk experience them as pain also, and I'm one of them. Turn your devices off when you go in a public restroom-- ours now have extremely high speed air dryers which are automatic, so they may turn on as someone walks past them. It is a hideous sound. You Do Not want to deal with it.
What I want your processor to be presented with as our beginning, is the most absolutely pure sound available to us. That would actually be a machine-generated sine wave (how much science do you enjoy?), but we don't have that, so the female voice is what we're using.
Gosh. This is a big project! How much are you interested in learning about the physics of music, of sound, about music theory and reading music? (Written music is going to be handy to you, to explain what you meant when you said that the music was sounding different.) I believe you were differentiating among higher and lower pitch (frequency) sounds!!! This is what it's all about. So here's a visual of what the musicians on that recording are looking at when they sing: View attachment 32761 pay no attention to the Latin writing. Those are the words they're singing. But the music itself is represented by the little diamond shaped marks on and between the horizontal sets of lines. You can see that they can be said to "go upwards" and "go downwards". All music does that. Up and down in all its infinite combinations is sound in general, and if done correctly, all music. The "notes" also progress as Western languages are read. Top left to right on down, just as we read a book. And that's enough music theory for now...
My plan is to introduce Processor and Brain (and Heart! And Mind as differentiated from Brain but especially Heart as you progress) to progressively more complicated combinations of sounds. Very slowly, at your pace. You'll be bombarded with disorganized noise from dawn til dusk from the world in general, but you need an oasis of pure music to heal you and Brain. Cochlear knows nothing about what I'm talking about, more's the pity.
I'll be back. Believe me, your descriptions of the things you don't have words for are actually pretty clear to me! So write down your thoughts here when you can, and I'll work on how I want to go about this teaching.

Okay...
My replies/messages today are going to be in bits and pieces in response to this.
Prepare yourself...I have not won the lottery, but I have an online cc but it is one I have to put the money on it first before I can spend it. (I would get in debt otherwise!!! I don’t buy unless the money is there first!)
I have been saving awhile (I started doing this saving last year when I realised the only person that was going to give me treats was me...) ...and I looked on Amazon this morning. Exactly same one as you put photo of. I looked at others, and an updated one of that one, but on comparing everything, the one you posted came up good. And with promotions etc I got nearly another full £20 off.
Ordered it. It’s coming to a pick up point locker end of this week! (Not to my bungalow because I find it stressful and timewasting looking for bell to flash etc)

Now I need to save again before I can spend on it!

I have more to say and respond to in your message, and on books etc I have read and downloaded that it am going to read on Brain and plasticity and music etc. But will send replies and what I’ve/and am going to read during day when I am having a cuppa.

By the way I have very little understanding of science. I was considered stupid at school and so wasn’t allowed to do any science subjects, consequently I don’t have a basic groundwork on that. But I can learn and read...and look online...and visual stuff works much better for me to learn like even cartoons on more technical stuff which I watch on You Tube!

I do have a wee bit of dyslexia, was diagnosed when I went into further education about 20 years ago to try and get the same GCSE and A level basic qualifications my children so easily got at school, and was also told I have Irlen’s Syndrome, and I need to wear tinted glasses to try and stop the words going funny and into rivers down the page.

And then after a few years, I managed to go on and do distance learning (classroom situation is no good for me obviously) and after 6 years managed to get a degree, a 2.2 BSc in Psychology.

So, I can get there....eventually!

Take care
>^..^<

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have no idea what you're on about.
I only use a pc which goes through a hifi amp and then stereo speakers. My hobby is creating sounds and making music .... or trying to on pc with keyboard and a little guitar some loops made and borrowed. I think I'll leave you to it in this thread bye bye.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, using the best speaker you can use is very important to what you hear, and you are SO right not to stream the music straight to the processor. that ION speaker is quite the camping/boating buddy, it appears. If you win the lottery, invest in one of these: View attachment 32760 It is an audiophile's portable speaker. It will give you the best fidelity of sound waves.
Gosh. This is a big project! How much are you interested in learning about the physics of music, of sound, about music theory and reading music? (Written music is going to be handy to you, to explain what you meant when you said that the music was sounding different.) I believe you were differentiating among higher and lower pitch (frequency) sounds!!! This is what it's all about. So here's a visual of what the musicians on that recording are looking at when they sing: View attachment 32761 pay no attention to the Latin writing. Those are the words they're singing. But the music itself is represented by the little diamond shaped marks on and between the horizontal sets of lines. You can see that they can be said to "go upwards" and "go downwards". All music does that. Up and down in all its infinite combinations is sound in general, and if done correctly, all music. The "notes" also progress as Western languages are read. Top left to right on down, just as we read a book. And that's enough music theory for now...
I can’t find all the books I have read on Plasticity and the Brain. I’ve read a lot online and not kept a record of them.
I have read several Oliver Sacks books including Musicaphilia (how do you spell that?), a book by Iain Mc Gilchrist The Divided Brain, Zen and the Brain, more books on Plasticity and the Brain.

I also look for books on archive.org On there I find loads books on that online library. I cannot afford to buy the amount of books I want to read, so I am constantly looking for ways to read books. There are also other online libraries I read and borrow books from.

You ask “How much are you interested in learning about the physics of music, of sound, about music theory and reading music? ”
I am interested in all that.

Cochlear and the hospital have no idea what I want. You do.

I am going to potting shed now. Done my odds and ends duty house stuff. I am a bit late in getting to potting shed today... Now it’s me and Hildegard and cat and reading and creative stuff...

Catch you later ...
>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Probably this is a last reply for today.
I said earlier I might have to learn all over again to where I had got to before. But that has not happened today.

Brain appears to have picked up off where I got to yesterday after listening to Hildegard.

I am still hearing all the variations, and now more within the words.

The monotonous has completely gone. But I said before it was not monotonous in a bad way, but in a good way. I miss that. But Brain does what it wants to do.

I always say Brain is hungry for music. If Brain gets what it wants or needs, it is like it says more more more.

One more thing for today. The volume of this ION speaker was on full when I began listening on Saturday - was it?
On Sunday I had to turn volume down bit by bit to about half way, and it sounded as loud as it was when it was on full volume.
So Monday now, and I have had to turn volume down more. I started with about one third of total volume about half hour or so ago. As Brain is getting used to this (?) it now needs turning down more. I have it on about quarter of total volume now. And it sounds to me as loud as it was initially when it was full volume!

It is going to have to go down a bit more. But at this stage, I am thinking that I will probably need the better quality Bose speaker to keep everything I am hearing from it, and get the fullest sound possible. That is what I am assuming the Bose speaker will do?

Anyway. Talk tomorrow.
>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have no idea what you're on about.
I only use a pc which goes through a hifi amp and then stereo speakers. My hobby is creating sounds and making music .... or trying to on pc with keyboard and a little guitar some loops made and borrowed. I think I'll leave you to it in this thread bye bye.

JTL That sounds like a fascinating hobby!
As to understanding what we're doing-- I'm a professional musician, and @gennepher is my first online student. If you read all of her posts on this thread, you will understand better. That particular discussion was simply a kind of speaker with Bluetooth capability that I was recommending. Thanks for dropping by!

Reactions: JTL

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Okay...
My replies/messages today are going to be in bits and pieces in response to this.
Prepare yourself...I have not won the lottery, but I have an online cc but it is one I have to put the money on it first before I can spend it. (I would get in debt otherwise!!! I don’t buy unless the money is there first!)
I have been saving awhile (I started doing this saving last year when I realised the only person that was going to give me treats was me...) ...and I looked on Amazon this morning. Exactly same one as you put photo of. I looked at others, and an updated one of that one, but on comparing everything, the one you posted came up good. And with promotions etc I got nearly another full £20 off.
Ordered it. It’s coming to a pick up point locker end of this week! (Not to my bungalow because I find it stressful and timewasting looking for bell to flash etc)

Now I need to save again before I can spend on it!

I have more to say and respond to in your message, and on books etc I have read and downloaded that it am going to read on Brain and plasticity and music etc. But will send replies and what I’ve/and am going to read during day when I am having a cuppa.

By the way I have very little understanding of science. I was considered stupid at school and so wasn’t allowed to do any science subjects, consequently I don’t have a basic groundwork on that. But I can learn and read...and look online...and visual stuff works much better for me to learn like even cartoons on more technical stuff which I watch on You Tube!

I do have a wee bit of dyslexia, was diagnosed when I went into further education about 20 years ago to try and get the same GCSE and A level basic qualifications my children so easily got at school, and was also told I have Irlen’s Syndrome, and I need to wear tinted glasses to try and stop the words going funny and into rivers down the page.

And then after a few years, I managed to go on and do distance learning (classroom situation is no good for me obviously) and after 6 years managed to get a degree, a 2.2 BSc in Psychology.

So, I can get there....eventually!

Take care
>^..^<

Looks like working in bits and pieces here is going to work well. That dyslexia is something else, isn't it. Both of my kids were "dys-everything BUT-lexic. Congratulations on your degree in psychology; you should come and talk to my mother, who also has one from 50 years ago
You are way ahead of me with your reading and ordering of various books to do with subjects that are going to be very relevant. Have at it say I! We'll worry about the science some other time.
When I was buying that speaker, the reviews of the new were version or not as good as the reviews of the older one, so I did exactly what you did. I did not, however, get that much off I don't think.
Just out of curiosity, I looked up music and cochlear implant's. Here's a creenshot of one of my result pages.
IMG_8284.jpg
I also texted links to a bunch of scholarly articles and blogs to myself, but none of them were about people deaf from birth. That may take some further looking.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can’t find all the books I have read on Plasticity and the Brain. I’ve read a lot online and not kept a record of them.
I have read several Oliver Sacks books including Musicaphilia (how do you spell that?), a book by Iain Mc Gilchrist The Divided Brain, Zen and the Brain, more books on Plasticity and the Brain.

I also look for books on archive.org On there I find loads books on that online library. I cannot afford to buy the amount of books I want to read, so I am constantly looking for ways to read books. There are also other online libraries I read and borrow books from.

You ask “How much are you interested in learning about the physics of music, of sound, about music theory and reading music? ”
I am interested in all that.

Cochlear and the hospital have no idea what I want. You do.

I am going to potting shed now. Done my odds and ends duty house stuff. I am a bit late in getting to potting shed today... Now it’s me and Hildegard and cat and reading and creative stuff...

Catch you later ...
>^..^<

I love Oliver Sacks. I think I've only read one, but would certainly like to read the one that you read. I have also read a book recently by a journalist who was very surprised and disappointed to find out that he was actually tone deaf, but that certainly explained why his wife said he was such a terrible singer. He decided to do some research on himself, and write a book in the process. When I remember the name of it and the author, I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure it's called Bad Singer. So he has an entirely different problem from yours, but he was very methodical about learning what he could and couldn't do. Apparently he had enough voice lessons during this process to know exactly what to do with his voice, and his teacher told him he had a very pleasant voice, but he was absolutely tone deaf (which had been confirmed definitively by an audiologist, or some other form of -ologist. Possibly a kindred soul....
So let me find you some online music theory references, or you might even know better how to ask for what you want. And now I am trying to think of a much less expensive version of an instrument that you can feel.
I envy you that potting shed! Our shed is full of yard tools, our son's gigantic toolbox, my husband's lumber collection, and out of season summer yard party things.. Smells like spilled gasoline.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Probably this is a last reply for today.
I said earlier I might have to learn all over again to where I had got to before. But that has not happened today.

Brain appears to have picked up off where I got to yesterday after listening to Hildegard.

I am still hearing all the variations, and now more within the words.

The monotonous has completely gone. But I said before it was not monotonous in a bad way, but in a good way. I miss that. But Brain does what it wants to do.

I always say Brain is hungry for music. If Brain gets what it wants or needs, it is like it says more more more.

One more thing for today. The volume of this ION speaker was on full when I began listening on Saturday - was it?
On Sunday I had to turn volume down bit by bit to about half way, and it sounded as loud as it was when it was on full volume.
So Monday now, and I have had to turn volume down more. I started with about one third of total volume about half hour or so ago. As Brain is getting used to this (?) it now needs turning down more. I have it on about quarter of total volume now. And it sounds to me as loud as it was initially when it was full volume!

It is going to have to go down a bit more. But at this stage, I am thinking that I will probably need the better quality Bose speaker to keep everything I am hearing from it, and get the fullest sound possible. That is what I am assuming the Bose speaker will do?

Anyway. Talk tomorrow.
>^..^<

That is absolutely amazing, and I'm going to say miraculous, about how you're having to keep turning the volume down. I think you're right about Brain getting used to it. And I'm hoping that the Bose speaker will please you as much as it pleases me. I believe you will get much better sound fidelity from it.
I am sorry that you miss the likable "monotony". I imagine what's happening is that every day is going to be something different, so you'll hear things that you really like, and then you may never hear them that way again. I'm not quite sure how you would cope with that, but I'm sure that you will! Brain is your best and most reliable leader so long as you let Heart have a say when it comes to music! <3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like working in bits and pieces here is going to work well. That dyslexia is something else, isn't it. Both of my kids were "dys-everything BUT-lexic. Congratulations on your degree in psychology; you should come and talk to my mother, who also has one from 50 years ago
You are way ahead of me with your reading and ordering of various books to do with subjects that are going to be very relevant. Have at it say I! We'll worry about the science some other time.
When I was buying that speaker, the reviews of the new were version or not as good as the reviews of the older one, so I did exactly what you did. I did not, however, get that much off I don't think.
Just out of curiosity, I looked up music and cochlear implant's. Here's a creenshot of one of my result pages.View attachment 32769 I also texted links to a bunch of scholarly articles and blogs to myself, but none of them were about people deaf from birth. That may take some further looking.

I did a lot of online research on Cochlear Implants and music a couple of years ago, but what I found was stuff on people who’d had hearing as children, but went deaf later in childhood/teenagers etc.
Just going to see if I can find something, but it is middle of night, just woke for bathroom and peeked in...

I’ve just found I deleted all the links I had found on research because they didn’t help me!

Okay, there is Evelyn Glennie, who Hearing friends tell me that I should look on her as inspiration if I want to learn about music.

So I researched her. But what annoyed me was that she had NOT been deaf from birth but had a very good grounding in music while she was fully hearing because of her father, a musical family I think. And that was rarely said anywhere online (although it seems to be mentioned now), so you got this impression she is a totally deaf person who did this amazing achievement despite being totally deaf. Which to me as a profoundly deaf person from birth is a sort of inaccuracy. She had an illness when she was around 11 I think.

You, as a hearing person may think I am missing the point in all this.

Anyway here is one link. I will try and find a better one.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/06/...n-listen-to-music-with-our-entire-bodies.html

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/evelyn-glennie-mn0000126390/biography

It says she was deaf from the age of 12 due to illness.

She has achieved a tremendous amount .

Going to look at your other replies...I think I saw there were more....

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Oliver Sacks. I think I've only read one, but would certainly like to read the one that you read. I have also read a book recently by a journalist who was very surprised and disappointed to find out that he was actually tone deaf, but that certainly explained why his wife said he was such a terrible singer. He decided to do some research on himself, and write a book in the process. When I remember the name of it and the author, I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure it's called Bad Singer. So he has an entirely different problem from yours, but he was very methodical about learning what he could and couldn't do. Apparently he had enough voice lessons during this process to know exactly what to do with his voice, and his teacher told him he had a very pleasant voice, but he was absolutely tone deaf (which had been confirmed definitively by an audiologist, or some other form of -ologist. Possibly a kindred soul....
So let me find you some online music theory references, or you might even know better how to ask for what you want. And now I am trying to think of a much less expensive version of an instrument that you can feel.
I envy you that potting shed! Our shed is full of yard tools, our son's gigantic toolbox, my husband's lumber collection, and out of season summer yard party things.. Smells like spilled gasoline.

Okay, sounds good, an instrument I could feel. I would like that.
I haven’t found online, last time I looked a couple of years ago, any online research on music for people who had been profoundly deaf from birth.
Maybe there might be more stuff now.
It might also be easier to find more stuff now.
Will look when I ‘wake’ up tomorrow...er today now...
Maybe you will be able to point me where or what to look for then I can figure out what I want?
I love my potting shed!!!
So does cat !
>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is absolutely amazing, and I'm going to say miraculous, about how you're having to keep turning the volume down. I think you're right about Brain getting used to it. And I'm hoping that the Bose speaker will please you as much as it pleases me. I believe you will get much better sound fidelity from it.
I am sorry that you miss the likable "monotony". I imagine what's happening is that every day is going to be something different, so you'll hear things that you really like, and then you may never hear them that way again. I'm not quite sure how you would cope with that, but I'm sure that you will! Brain is your best and most reliable leader so long as you let Heart have a say when it comes to music! <3

I find that hard in a sense that I find something I like i.e. the ‘monotony’ of the initial listening experience morphs into something else and changes.

But it is something that will always be there now, that will always be, so I have to accept it.

It’s like you are told you should live every moment for what it is, because you will never have it again. Well I do that anyway. (I do lose my way from time to time). But I now have the additional thing that this applies to my hearing as well.

Brain is capable of a tremendous lot. A lot of people are ‘asleep ‘. I feel a lot of my friends are. They don’t appear to use their brain’s potential. I am curious. I look for stuff. I never accept something for what it is. I will search further.

I am an artist, and a poet. Been writing haiku about 10 years now (although I have always written as a release). I have taught some of my friends different painting. Every now and then I will teach them something specific. But I am assertive because they say we cannot do this, it is too hard etc. But I push them beyond that point, and they can get cross with me, but suddenly at that point there is that breakthrough moment and they realise they can...and that is a heck of an achievement. And they then improve in all ways in their own direction.

I am not a trained artist, but I learn stuff, took a course in Chinese painting, and new techniques, materials and stuff all the time. I need that creativity and searching ito calm my soul and disappear into me...I think this is what I would like/need/want from music so I can fold into myself and flow and fly...

Anyway, sleep calls...a cuppa first...

Have a good day.
>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This guy
“Oskar Wilhelm Fischinger was a German-American abstract animator, filmmaker, and painter, notable for creating abstract musical animation many decades before the appearance of computer graphics and music videos.”
does some amazing videos that allows me to ‘watch’ music.

The two below are Vimeo excerpts and come up as a strange icon in the app but still watchable, but come up ok in web.

I am having problems with copyright laws and the stupid restrictions that have come in this year from Europe.

Last year I was able to access the work he did on the original Fantasia. It was visual animated music. He fell out with Disney but Disney still used some of his work in Fantasia but didn’t credit hm.

I will post this and add to this if I find it later what I am looking for.

>^..^<

Additional...but I still cannot get hold of his brilliant Fantasia musical animations

This guy influenced Fischinger

I like the early animations that go with music. It helps me feel the music visually.

I don’t like the modern stuff that does this. It is too clever and doesn’t have the emotional feel of this older stuff early last century.

As an artist, I am aware of the enormous amount of time, energy, effort, the many many frames that were needed to create these amazing works early last century.

Modern computerised/digitised stuff takes seconds to do by comparison. It doesn’t have the blood, sweat and tears that must have come with those musical animations early last century...

>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote
I’ve had a bad day today so I’ve not done any listening etc. Very stressed. BG readings now very up.
Unexpectedly my drains were dug up again without warning or notification. It was a shock. Been crying. Doesn’t make sense. They didn’t even ring doorbell saying I wouldn’t hear it because I am deaf. Entered my property without permission and began drilling. I had only just tidied the area from last Tuesday, new plant pots and plants etc

Their work sheet said I had telephoned them. I explained that was not possible as I cannot hear in the telephone....

>^..^<