Musings, Questions, and Ramblings of a Type 2 Traveller

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I confess to being a lurker, not a longtime lurker but long enough, so it is time to add a meagre contribution to what is a wonderful forum, populated by inspirational posters.

My diagnosis came in October 2017. After experiencing extreme thirst and the follow on consequences of satisfying that thirst, a bit of googling gave me an idea of what to expect. At 178cm and 99kg I did not need to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce what the problem might be.

I was a bit dazed when the diagnosis came, and didn't even ask for details, oddly I was more concerned with a rather high blood pressure reading....which turned out to be white coat syndrome.

The doc prescribed 500mg of Metaformin and a change in lifestyle. I had been cycling an average of 25km per day for the last two years, in gyms and on my hybrid bike, so my exercise was not likely to increase dramatically. He suggested the Mediterranean Diet.

Within 24 hours, after a fair bit more googling I decided to pursue the Blood Sugar Diet, all 800 calories a day of it, and purchased two Blood Glucose Monitors. I also resolved to try and fit in an extra hour of exercise a day too.

Now, ordinarily, this would be a tricky task, but my job also involves a lot of travel....an average of 300,000 miles in the air per year. In the 8 weeks I had set myself to lose 15kg I was overseas for 6 weeks.:eek:

I stuck to my guns, didn't touch a drop of alcohol and watched my fasting readings drop from 10 to 5.5 in just over two weeks and remain in the 5's right up to Christmas Day where I recorded a weight of 83.5kg. I felt better than ever, fitter, more agile and mentally sharper. More than that I was, and am, really enjoying the food. (Avocados really are the food of the Gods)

Since Christmas I have maintained the weight level, although I would like to drop another 8kg. What has been interesting has been the slight increase in my blood glucose readings. I found myself going for most of April with readings in the 6's - fasting and after meals. I stuck to a LCHF diet and had weeks with a 16:8 fast regime. What I did notice that during this time my resting heart rate, according to the "ever reliable" Fitbit had raised from 56 to 64 and my average nightly sleep dropped from a solid 7 to 5/6 hours. (I know readings in the 6's are not that bad, but I am fascinated by the potential correlation to resting heart rate.)

I'm back home now and after a couple of days my resting heart rate is down to 60 and my blood glucose reading is in the high fives. (Fasting and 2 hours after meals.)

I think the point I am trying to raise, by rambling on and on, is that I simply didn't realise the complexity of it all. I have been avidly reading Michael Mosley and Jason Fung of late and have decided to make a concerted effort to shed another 8kg....but am trying to understand the impact of stress......particularly that caused by almost constant travel.

Are there any other travellers out there with experiences of blood glucose changes that might be down to constant flying, or anyone else tracking sleep and heart rate too?

Reactions: Prem51 and xfieldok

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @TonyHancock - what a great first post! If I may, I'll make a couple of comments, which are only my subjective opinions and may be incorrect factually. A possible factor leading to a diagnosis of T2, is visceral fat, ie round your middle. I'm going to guess you are pretty fit with your exercise regime so it shouldn't be that. If it is, then shift that to see results in your BS levels. My own weight (78 kilos) is bordering on overweight according to the NHS, but I'm carrying the lowest percentage of body fat in the last five years. Don't be in too much of a hurry. I'd advise you to see where you are in October and make your plans then. You've had awesome results since you started and you are hoping to "make it all go away". You might always be a diabetic, but if you can find a way of living a life, while keep your T2 under control, that might be an adequate goal.
Oh, and have you thought about dehydration ( while exercising and flying), which could raise blood sugar levels and could be countered with extra hydrating?
All the best, NMD.

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A possible factor leading to a diagnosis of T2, is visceral fat, ie round your middle. I'm going to guess you are pretty fit with your exercise regime so it shouldn't be that. If it is, then shift that to see results in your BS levels.

Absolutely spot on. I have lost 4 inches off my waist...but still need to get more weight off my midriff,

My own weight (78 kilos) is bordering on overweight according to the NHS, but I'm carrying the lowest percentage of body fat in the last five years. Don't be in too much of a hurry. I'd advise you to see where you are in October and make your plans then. You've had awesome results since you started and you are hoping to "make it all go away". You might always be a diabetic, but if you can find a way of living a life, while keep your T2 under control, that might be an adequate goal.

Many thanks for those kind words. I am definitely too impatient and conscious that keeping the weight off is no easy task. Rightly or wrongly I have come to view potatoes, bread, pasta and rice as "poison" and have kept away from all four.

Oh, and have you thought about dehydration ( while exercising and flying), which could raise blood sugar levels and could be countered with extra hydrating?
All the best, NMD.

I hadn't!......and the more I think about it the more you might be on to something, I religiously recorded water intake from October to December and was drinking an average of 2.5 litres a day. I stopped recording in January and definitely dropped down.....and the flying remained constant. Time to start tracking again.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I had three days on Metaformin and gave it up. My goal is to remain as drug free as I possibly can.

Reactions: Prem51

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
About bread, pasta and rice. I MISS THEM SOOO MUCH!
It's a bit like smoking though. However much pleasure you may have had in the past, this is a new chapter in life - and one which won't be including those carbs. (I was formerly a chef and my go-to meal for quickness and energy was always pasta). Ordering in pubs and restaurants needs care, as most meals come padded with carbs...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TonyHancock welcone and congratulations on excellent progress so far.

I haven’t travelled a lot since diagnosis but have noticed that being in different time zones has an impact. When traveling last summer in zones 5=6 hours behind the UK, my fasting BG was noticeably lower than it had been at home. Offset by being higher when out in the sun. I was only 6 months diagnosed so will be interested to see if the same happens this year.

Reactions: TonyHancock