My 3year old

MrsBoyle

My 3 year old Dylan got diagnossed with diabetes in december.
and his suagr levels are still not settled he only has half a unit of inserlin in the mornng and he still has hypos he goes to bed with his suagr levels at 22.6 and in the morning there down to 4-2.

How long did your levels take to settle

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi, I was 12 when diagnosed and my levels settled down quite quickly, but I was on set doses at set times of the day - do you inject Dylan in the mornings before breakfast and before all other meals? are you carb counting yet? is he on 2 types of insulin? If you could give a few more details I'm sure someone will be able to help :D

MrsBoyle

At the moment he only gets one injection before breakfast but he did get 2 one before breakfast and tea.

we dont carb count he has mixtard30 insilin.
and has set meal and snack times.

We have to ring the nurse up everyday to tell ushome much insiln to give him.

jopar

suspect that Dylan is still in the honeyoon period and managing to produce a little of his own insulin which can be spamotic when it comes to control..

I see that you are on Mixed insulin, I am surprised that they have tempted to ration carbs per meal and sanck to keep things ticking over..

I would speak to your clinic about his control though..

But I would get a carb book so that you can work out the carbs he is having for his meals and snacks, Once you've done this see if you can keep to similar carb amounts.. Not easy I know with such a little one, but hopefully this may guide you to where any problems lay with control..

But in such a young child, your clinic is best for advice, as dealing with diabetes in children is a slight different ball game than that of an adult..

Shazza

Hi

My Son started on mixtard soon as we left hospital I couldnt control his bs I found this forum and read about carbs it helped straight away and reduced his bs, I thought with mixtard you had to inject before breakfast and dinner? As jopar says youre best speaking to you DN

let us know how you get on

take care

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My (now 3 yr old) has been on basal/bolus from the start. This may be due to the fact that very young children quite often don't have a honeymoon period so he was completely insulin dependent from the beginning.

As for getting settled figures I would have to say it took me about a year to get really good at avoiding the spikes and hypos. Nothing really stays the same that long with kids anyway so it is a constant case of reassessing as they grow, diet changes, various activities, illnesses, etc... We still have periods of instability that sometimes can't be explained. There is always a balancing act to fit in with the family, milestone development, outside appointments, the list goes on....

My aim is to avoid as many hypos as possible and stay under 10 as much as possible. To give you an idea of what Khaleb's figures are like I can tell you that in the last week he has had 71% of bsl's in range (4 - 10 mml), 25% above range (all but one below 15mml) and 4% below range (1 X 3.4mml and 1 X 3.7mml). I use a free internet site that will graph his results. I don't really like all the record keeping and don't always do it. Good records do show where insulin and carbs aren't matching and you can find a way of flattening out some of the bumpy bits.

I wouldn't like Khaleb on a mixed insulin. He could refuse food or sleep at an odd time or be suddenly ill and I have a much better chance of controlling his levels on basal/bolus. The biggest downside is that Khaleb is on 5 injections per day. Lots of different regimes work well and it is just a matter of finding what is right for you and Dylan.

Just take a day at a time. Sometime soon you wont be ringing up to check doses and you'll manage all the everyday stuff. A bit of women's intuition and instincts go a long way too.

Matt1212

Hi - it does get easier (our 5 year old diagnosed a year ago) you will start to get a feel for the right amounts of foods at different meals in the day , getting a basic idea of the carb in food really helps and before long you will be able to estimate based on regular portion sizes.

We were on two injections a day for a year and to be honest there is some much to take in at first it is proabably the best option for us , we moved to multiple injections but the year on two was the best foundation.

my main advice is avoid serious hypos so bloods a bit high is better than much to low