My 3year old

MrsBoyle

Has had diabetes for 7 months ad is still not settled.
Every day his levels are all over the place most of the time he is high and if he isnt high he is low.

The nurses are usless dont seem to give me any help.
Could his levels being up and down becuse of somthing im doing wrong.

MrsBoyle

breakfast.

What food should i give for breakfasts
i was told any cerial that isnt coco flavor or sugar coated.
But shreddies have 39.3g of carbs and 12.9g of suagr.
Isnt that to much for breakfast.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: breakfast.

Mrs B
I'd say it was too much for breakfast, unless you only have a teaspoonful
How about scrambled eggs instead? No carbs at all.
Hana

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

hanadr said:
Mrs B
Hana

This member is asking about a 3 year old child and what she should give for breakfast. ( I know it is not clear in the post )

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Is your little one growing fast at the moment/
That can upset the control.
With a bit of luck, one of the parents of a diabettic child will come along and advise you.

MrsBoyle

hanadr said:
Mrs B
Hana
Thank You for your reply.
That sounds like it would be good for breakfast.

MrsBoyle

sugarless sue said:
hanadr said:
Mrs B
Hana

This member is asking about a 3 year old child and what she should give for breakfast. ( I know it is not clear in the post )

Sorry i didnt make the post clear but i didnt think id need my childs age. as i oly asked about breakfast and if shreddies had to many carb and sugar in them.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

MrsBoyle said:
sugarless sue wrote

Sorry i didnt make the post clear but i didnt think id need my childs age. as i oly asked about breakfast and if shreddies had to many carb and sugar in them.

Well, a 3 yr olds eating habits and amount of carbs would be very different from an Adult's. Therefore it's best we all know what we are dealing with. That way the answers you get will be more relevant.

I am sure you wouldn't want members to give you incorrect advice.......

cugila
Forum Monitor

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I give my 3 yr old either porridge (made with water) with a little bit of puree fruit and milk or 1 weetabix. Our young kids should still be able to eat most everyday foods but with a small body weight you wont find that bsl's stay flat all the time like what is possible in most adults. I do not believe in reducing carbs as it is needed for their development and energy requirements. You should be able to supply enough insulin to cover a normal meal. Sugary cereals go into the bloodstream very quickly so lower GI cereals are the recommended choice.

I have resorted to weighing much of what Khaleb eats and I always try to keep his long acting injections at the same time each morning and evening. I don't always give him his Novorapid before he eats, but straight after, if I'm unsure how much he'll have.

I can only tell you what I give Khaleb, who is a normal 14kg for his height/age. He would have about 130gm carb per day. It varies a little from day to day. Today he is sick so he's not eating as much but having more insulin. The total units of insulin per day he has is 10.5 units (6.5 morn and 4 night) Levemir and 4.5 units (1.5 per meal of 30gr carb) Novorapid. Kids can be very different but I believe Khaleb fits the norm with having as many units of insulin as his body weight.

The best guide to whether you are feeding your child too much or too little is by their weight. I gather you take your child to clinic every 3 months for hba1c and height/weight checks.

It is really hard when kids are so young. You still have to have some balance in life and sometimes blood sugars wont be perfect. Having a good routine really helps. I think your childs levels are up and down because that is what happens in kids. If they are way out you might need to make some adjustments - the hba1c should give you some guide.

Hope this gives you some help and I'm happy to answer anything else.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi MrsBoyle :)

You don't say what type of insulin your little boy is on. If he's on a mixed insulin like Novomix30 then you need to try and keep the carbohydrate content of breakfast each day to a similar amount. If each day the breakfast contains widely varying amounts of carbohydrate then you'll experience days where he's too high post breakfast and other days where he's too low post breakfast. If he's on a basal/bolus regime, using something like Levemir and Novorapid and you're injecting for the amount of carbohydrate with each meal then you have much more flexibility.

When my daughter was on Novomix30 I worked out the carbohydrate content of a variety of breakfast options. I wrote down meal plans with weights and carbohydrate values so that it would be an easy reference to pick a breakfast option each day. Back then we tried to keep her breakfast at roughly 40grams of carbs each day, your little boy might need less as he's younger. I also don't believe in low carb for children although I do watch how much carb my daughter consumes and make sure it's not too much.

If he's on a basal/bolus then it's easier or less restricting because you simply dish up what you think he'll eat, work out the carbohydrate value and inject accordingly.

With inbetween meal snacks we try to keep each snack to a similar carb value, this gives consistency in carbs consumed and helps to avoid wide swings in blood sugar levels. If you're finding an inbetween meal snack is raising his blood sugars too much then you can consider low or no carb options for his snacks.

My daughter does have breakfast cereals but only occasionally because I find that they contain a lot of sugar (even some of those that appear to be healthy) and tend to give her spikes in blood sugars. I've listed below some of the breakfasts she often has to give you some ideas. Most breakfasts she'll also have a glass of milk, low sugar fresh cranberry juice or small glass of fresh orange juice.

Soft boiled egg and toast
Scrambled egg, toast
Crossaint
Fruit and yoghurt
Porridge (not the instant flavoured type)
Weetabix with milk and splenda
Poached egg, bacon, mushrooms, toast
Cornflakes, milk

If you're trying to keep each breakfast to a similar carbohydrate content then you can adjust poriton sizes to get to the number of carbs you're aiming for. If your meal falls short of your target it's easy to bring the carbs up by adding a glass of milk or a bowl of fresh berries like strawberries or blueberries.

annettekp

Hi

You don't say if you're counting the carbs or what type of insulin he's on and all that makes a difference. Have you seen a dietician? We see a dietician regularly with our diabetic nurse and she' really helpful.

My son is almost 2 and weighs just over 15kg - he's a tall boy! We count carbs and are on basal/bolus. Erland is supposed to have roughly 30g of carbs at each meal and 15g at each snack.

Breakfast can be branflakes and raisins or cheerios and a banana with milk to drink.

Like Jen we weigh almost everything so I know exactly how much he's had and don't give the novorapid till afterwards.

Annette

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My son is almost 2 and weighs just over 15kg - he's a tall boy!
Annette[/quote]

I probably should have mentioned Khaleb's normal 14kg/height/age is for him. Kids with Down's tend to be shorter and smaller. Khaleb would be in the bottom percentile of other kids.

annettekp

Jen, Erland is one of these children who people refer to as sturdy! :D He has a posse of relatives all over 6ft and so he has a good chance of getting there too and making my quite respectable 5ft 4 look tiny!

Annette

hismom

hi,
if its any help my son has readybrek every day. the consultant said this is perfectly ok . he does tend to keep his morning level high but porridge does do that even in non-diabetics. he is 14 so I couldnt tell you how much he would need. also shreddies ,weetabix and shreaded wheat are ok we have been told. if you want any sugar we use splenda but only 1 spoon so it isnt too sweet.