My 4 year old has been diagnosed with type 1 but early stages

laurah_86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I’m new to this forum and to be honest to all of this. I was recently told my son has type 1, but the very early stages. His body is still producing some insulin but that will eventually stop.
He hasn’t had all the usual symptoms as other I have read about… it started with me noticing a few times that his breath smelt really bad of “pear drops” and he wasn’t well, lethargic, not talking to me so I took h to theGP. He has been referred to the diabetic team at the hospital where they did blood tests which showed low insulin and low c-peptide and his HABc1 level at the time was 7.8, then two weeks later 6.8 then after a small dose of levimer (1 unit) two weeks later it was 6.7. He then had a oral GTT which he failed, sugars being high after 1 then 2 hrs.
He is still having hypos and I have noticed now (5 months since) he sugar levels are higher two hours after eating (above 10 sometimes 13.8)but not all the time. He has always drank water before bed and occasionally got up for a drink but definitely gets up to urinate,. He probably has wet the bed 6-7 times in the last 5 months.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m so confused and I don’t know if it’s coz I’m clutching on to that dear bit of hope that they have it wrong.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forums :) I'm type 1 but became so when quite an adult. There are members here who have type 1 kids and hopefully they will have encouragement for you. There is alot to learn about the management of diabetes and it takes time to understand the information. It can also be very confusing. This is a great website for any questions. You are at the start of the journey and it can be a rewarding experience leading to a healthier life than for someone who can ignore the effect of food on the body.