My 5 day dairy fat fast

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand what a great result well done girl !!!! Even though not posted for a while have been popping in and keeping an eye on you. Back in UK now still not sure if it was the right thing to do but here we are ! Glad you are doing so well
CONNNNNNNNNIIIIIEEEEE! Hello :D I've missed you. I was thinking of you a few days ago. You have probably noticed that I'm not on the exercise thread now, I can't quite get myself geared up to exercise this year. :oops:

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Zand what a great result well done girl !!!! Even though not posted for a while have been popping in and keeping an eye on you. Back in UK now still not sure if it was the right thing to do but here we are ! Glad you are doing so well

Hi connie, lovely to see you again. Sorry for the interruption @zand

Reactions: 6 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, good to see your little furry face, @connie104

How are you? You had a hip operation, didn't you? Or have I mixed you up with someone else (in which case I apologise profusely). At least you are here in Summer, so you will get used to the climate as it drifts towards Winter.
Yes that's me hips fine but waiting for the new knee now !! Probably next year . Getting used to the NHS way of doing things 3 weeks to see the doctor unless an emergency not good ! Hope all is well with you .

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellently done,@zand,, the most difficult part is keeping the records! It is fairly easy to do, otherwise, don't you think? One day down for me, and stronger BPC tomorrow!
Again, well done you

Yes. I'm afraid I didn't keep as many records as you guys, just the basics for me. It is fairly easy to do, I was surprised at that.

Well done on day1 then, sorry I rushed ahead of you guys, but my fast was a little different to yours anyway. Looking forward to reading your thread and thanks so much for putting the idea into my head.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise not on my agenda at the moment either as my knee gives out . Has a blood test at

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry pressed wrong button !! Out of practice !
Blood test came back 39 recently and doctor seemed quite surprised I was under control said wished all his patients took it seriously !!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's me hips fine but waiting for the new knee now !! Probably next year . Getting used to the NHS way of doing things 3 weeks to see the doctor unless an emergency not good ! Hope all is well with you .

Yes thanks, and loving the brief glimpses of the sun we are getting!

:D

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
My fat fast.

I started on Monday afternoon, on a whim really. I had been to the chiropractor and she had told me to rest for 2 days and not do a great deal of exercise for a few more days.

I wanted to have foods I love and to keep it as simple as possible, whilst consuming as much fat as I wanted and very few carbs and protein. Nowadays I ignore the calories in/calories out bit as it simply doesn’t work for me. The statement I choose to believe now is: – the metabolism is like a fire, you need to give it plenty of fuel to keep it burning. Eating fat has to be a great way of getting the fire to burn better. I have had less than normal exercise since Monday; I have done the bare minimum that I needed to do.

The 5 day fast was by no means a healthy balanced diet and the advice is not to carry on with a fat fast for more than 5 days. I took vitamin supplements. My diet consisted of things mostly beginning with C(not planned just a coincidence)! Cream (double), corned beef, cheese, cucumber, coffee, chocolate (99%) plus milk in tea and butter, and lots of water. I don’t like the fat on meat, so if I had a lot of meat it would be mostly protein, not fat, so I stuck to dairy produce for my fat intake. I didn’t try to restrict calories at all. I just ate until I didn’t want anymore. I used my fitness pal to record my carb/fat/protein/calorie intake.

My average daily intake over the 5 full days of the fat fast was:-

Cals 2312
Carbs 15.8 g
Fat 238 g
Protein 26.4 g

Allowing for 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat, the calorie percentage works out as follows.

Carbs 2.74%
Fat 92.69%
Protein 4.57%

My fasting BGs were:-

Tues 5.7
Weds 6.1*
Thurs 6.3
Fri 5.3
Sat 5.4
Sun 4.8

*Tuesday night I thought I would have to abandon this experiment as I woke with a sore throat. I had a teaspoonful of manuka honey for medicinal purposes and thankfully did not succumb to the same virus that my husband had at the time. I included it in my food diary.

My weightloss ( I weighed yesterday morning) since I last weighed on Monday 28th July is 6 pounds. I am now the lightest I have been for 10 years.

Before I started LCHF and back when very little was known about the Newcastle diet, I did another diet and this one was for 7 weeks. I ate 600 calories daily, nearly all carbs, because all I ate was veggies. Yes I lost weight, but nothing comparable to this experiment. I lost around a stone and a quarter in those 7 weeks, on a starvation diet. This recent experiment was calorie laden and I still lost weight without slowing down my metabolism by starving myself.

I have heard some people say it is madness to add fat to your diet in order to lose weight as fat contains more calories than carbs or protein. It isn’t madness, it works! By definition a calorie is the energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Our bodies are more complicated than this though and not all calories are equal. Calories in/calories out only tells part of the story.

I plan to continue with LCHF and maybe do another fat fast in 3 months or so.

Did you organise this into meals or just generally graze all day, would love to know what you ate each day as I'd like to try this, I've stayed around the same weight for 4 weeks and would love to kick start losing again.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand , where do I start?
First, well done and if so bold, a really descriptive report!
Second, congratulations on doing the fat fast! The first one will lead the way to getting experience as you will as you have posted, learnt a lot from the experience!
Third, great results, and I'm not talking about Arsenal!
And so on and a well done!

In my trials and tribulations, I have found calories, counting or otherwise, will not lose you weight or do much for control, Full fat is a huge energy source, when your carb intake is very low.

If you can before your next fat fast, you may try a fasting day, to rid your body of glucose, glycogen and get your endocrine system ready. So that your body will kick in faster using full fat!

I do eat the protein fat, and full fat yoghurt, but no butter, cream, and milk!
But because I'm in ketosis, all my energy doesn't come from carbs!

It's really good stuff isn't it? The feeling of wellbeing and the energy levels, actually make you want to do more! And the more you do and you don't feel tired, so you want to do more and so on!

I'm really pleased for you, keep it up!

Oh yeah! Really great!

Thanks nosher. :)

Yes, I will try a fasting day first next time, thanks for the tip. :) I really didn't expect to feel this good, of course some of it is the simple fact that I actually managed to lose weight at last. It was probably good that I made a snap decision to do it, maybe next time I'll add exercise and see if there is a different outcome. It really is so nice to be able to eat until I don't want anymore - and then lose weight! Awesome! It was only an experiment. lol

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you organise this into meals or just generally graze all day, would love to know what you ate each day as I'd like to try this, I've stayed around the same weight for 4 weeks and would love to kick start losing again.

I wasn't organised at all! It was just such a snap decision I really didn't think about it. As for what I ate, I think it's best if you choose the foods that really suit you, but here's an idea of what I did. If anyone can't stomach lots of fat, look away now!

I had 3 meals, but a small snack in the evening if I needed it.

I'm sorry I haven't got this split into meals, But the first day I drank as much cream as I needed to feel full.

Day 1
7 mugs tea with 15 ml milk each (later on I just had 2 mugs with milk in the morning and drank tea black the rest of the time to save a few carbs)
Fresh double cream 450 mls !!
Lindt Excellence - Choclate 99% Cocoa Dark, 14.28 g
Tomatoes - Raw, 32 g (4 small cherry tomatoes which weren't planned but I couldn't resist them because they were home grown)
Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 40 g

That was the most boring day foodwise, but drinking double cream as a meal was a novelty which I thoroughly enjoyed. :)

If you're interested @timerich I'll type out the other days.

I should say that a few years back I asked my GP if it was OK for me to do these short sharp shock types of very high fat diet. He said yes, but for no longer than a week. My health is much improved since then, so I didn't ask him this time, but I would advise you to check whether there is any reason you shouldn't be doing this type of diet.

Edit: I forgot to say that I drank lots of water every day. At least 7 pints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks nosher. :)

Yes, I will try a fasting day first next time, thanks for the tip. :) I really didn't expect to feel this good, of course some of it is the simple fact that I actually managed to lose weight at last. It was probably good that I made a snap decision to do it, maybe next time I'll add exercise and see if there is a different outcome. It really is so nice to be able to eat until I don't want anymore - and then lose weight! Awesome! It was only an experiment. lol
@zand, you probably know I don't count up calories or carbs or weigh this that or the other, my plate size has slightly grown but I'm still losing weight and have great energy levels. Exercise for me is that I'm on my feet for most of the day. I know you can't at the moment but this is the start of your experience and experiencing how to be better and feel better.
Keep it up! Really made up for you!

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff @zand and really pleased for you with the results. Looks like it has achieved what you set it out to and that's to move you on from your plateaux.

Brilliant stuff.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I wasn't organised at all! It was just such a snap decision I really didn't think about it. As for what I ate, I think it's best if you choose the foods that really suit you, but here's an idea of what I did. If anyone can't stomach lots of fat, look away now!

I had 3 meals, but a small snack in the evening if I needed it.

I'm sorry I haven't got this split into meals, But the first day I drank as much cream as I needed to feel full.

Day 1
7 mugs tea with 15 ml milk each (later on I just had 2 mugs with milk in the morning and drank tea black the rest of the time to save a few carbs)
Fresh double cream 450 mls !!
Lindt Excellence - Choclate 99% Cocoa Dark, 14.28 g
Tomatoes - Raw, 32 g (4 small cherry tomatoes which weren't planned but I couldn't resist them because they were home grown)
Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 40 g

That was the most boring day foodwise, but drinking double cream as a meal was a novelty which I thoroughly enjoyed. :)

If you're interested @timerich I'll type out the other days.

I should say that a few years back I asked my GP if it was OK for me to do these short sharp shock types of very high fat diet. He said yes, but for no longer than a week. My health is much improved since then, so I didn't ask him this time, but I would advise you to check whether there is any reason you shouldn't be doing this type of diet.

Edit: I forgot to say that I drank lots of water every day. At least 7 pints.

Yes I'm really interested, particularly the cream. I usually have coffee with cream for breakfast, but then ration myself because of the calories.
At the moment I've just begun Zanda Morris's high fat diet (did this before and lost about 7lbs in a fortnight) I think she says you lose 10lb but 7 was good for me. But would like to try something different. I've 2 stone to lose to be where I'm happy.Just want to get on with it now before Christmas hits (can't believe I'm thinking of Christmas in the middle of summer!)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really well done @zand...I really must give this a try...off on hols on Saturday...although I'd love to lose a few pounds before I go...bit worried about the after effects on hols...definitely soon though

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@timerich here's my food diary for the other days. Sorry for the delay I had an appointment earlier this morning.

Day 2

Fresh Double Cream (450 mls )
5 mugs tea with 15 ml each whole milk
Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 10 g
British Mature Cheddar, 50 g
Manuka Honey 15g
8 pints water

Day 3

3 mugs tea with 15ml each whole milk
4 mugs black tea
Fresh Double Cream - 450 mls
Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 83 g
Tesco Finest - Corned Beef, 3 Slices
8 pints water.

Day 4

Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 14.0 g
Fresh Double Cream 300mls
4 mugs black tea
Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 5 g
Anchor - Butter 40g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 74 g the cucumber was introduced because it's home grown and I cut 4 in one day and didn't want to waste them. I was also getting a little tired of .........cream! So I cut the cucumber lengthways and spread it with butter and sprinkled pepper on it. So a kind of breadless sandwich. It was very refreshing after all that cream and whilst it contained some carbs it did help me to get some butter down me in a palatable way.
7 pints water

Day 5

2 mugs tea with 15ml each whole milk
4 mugs black tea
Fresh British Double Cream, 300 mls
Anchor - Butter 53 g
Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 47 g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 206 g
Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 12 g
7 pints water

When following LCHF, especially an ultra version of it like this you may need to add salt. I didn't this time because I didn't feel I needed it. I often have a craving for crisps, and then I realise it's not the crisps I need it's the salt. :) I always find I lose weight better if I drink plenty of water.

As I said previously this was tailored to me, to my likes and needs. Yours will be different. I used cream as my main fat because it was easy to buy and light - my chiropractor had warned me not to carry any heavy shopping. Also I knew I already had my doctor's blessing because we had discussed these types of extreme diets before. I would never do a fat fast for more than 5 days. This type of diet won't be appropriate for everyone, particularly those with gallbladder problems.

After the end of day 1, when I went into ketosis my breath was smelly (I could taste that it was, and my son confirmed it lol) For the first time it was good to be married to someone with a very poor sense of smell. Bless him, hubby was oblivious to it. :)

Lastly and probably the most important thing of all. I hate talking about this, but I would be wrong to leave it out. Constipation was a real issue for me. I did have psyllium husk capsules which helped a lot this time. I will get some psyllium powder in stock ready before I attempt another 5 day fast. I tried a similar diet to this 4 years ago; that one had more protein and less fat, but very few carbs and lasted a week. I lost weight and was mildly constipated afterwards. I waited 3 weeks and did the diet again, I was so desperate to lose weight. I had thought my bowel had fully recovered from the first one. It hadn't. I had a lot of problems and without going into too much detail (!!) I suffered a great deal of pain and inconvenience for several months afterwards. That's why I have waited so long to attempt a fat fast. But hey, you live and learn. I won't be doing another fat fast for a few months at least. I don't want to go through that again.

So that's me. I still have over 4 stones to lose, but at least I'm off that plateau now and am happy to stay at this weight for a while if I have to. Good luck with finding the right answer for yourself. This is the one that worked for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
@timerich here's my food diary for the other days. Sorry for the delay I had an appointment earlier this morning.

Day 2

Fresh Double Cream (450 mls )
5 mugs tea with 15 ml each whole milk
Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 10 g
British Mature Cheddar, 50 g
Manuka Honey 15g
8 pints water

Day 3

4 mugs black tea
Fresh Double Cream - 450 mls
Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 83 g
Tesco Finest - Corned Beef, 3 Slices
8 pints water.

Day 4

Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 14.0 g
Fresh Double Cream 300mls
4 mugs black tea
Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 5 g
Anchor - Butter 40g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 74 g the cucumber was introduced because it's home grown and I cut 4 in one day and didn't want to waste them. I was also getting a little tired of .........cream! So I cut the cucumber lengthways and spread it with butter and sprinkled pepper on it. So a kind of breadless sandwich. It was very refreshing after all that cream and whilst it contained some carbs it did help me to get some butter down me in a palatable way.
7 pints water

Day 5

2 mugs tea with 15ml each whole milk
4 mugs black tea
Fresh British Double Cream, 300 mls
Anchor - Butter 53 g
Cathedral City - Mature Cheese, 47 g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 206 g
Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 12 g
7 pints water

When following LCHF, especially an ultra version of it like this you may need to add salt. I didn't this time because I didn't feel I needed it. I often have a craving for crisps, and then I realise it's not the crisps I need it's the salt. :) I always find I lose weight better if I drink plenty of water.

As I said previously this was tailored to me, to my likes and needs. Yours will be different. I used cream as my main fat because it was easy to buy and light - my chiropractor had warned me not to carry any heavy shopping. Also I knew I already had my doctor's blessing because we had discussed these types of extreme diets before. I would never do a fat fast for more than 5 days. This type of diet won't be appropriate for everyone, particularly those with gallbladder problems.

After the end of day 1, when I went into ketosis my breath was smelly (I could taste that it was, and my son confirmed it lol) For the first time it was good to be married to someone with a very poor sense of smell. Bless him, hubby was oblivious to it. :)

Lastly and probably the most important thing of all. I hate talking about this, but I would be wrong to leave it out. Constipation was a real issue for me. I did have psyllium husk capsules which helped a lot this time. I will get some psyllium powder in stock ready before I attempt another 5 day fast. I tried a similar diet to this 4 years ago; that one had more protein and less fat, but very few carbs and lasted a week. I lost weight and was mildly constipated afterwards. I waited 3 weeks and did the diet again, I was so desperate to lose weight. I had thought my bowel had fully recovered from the first one. It hadn't. I had a lot of problems and without going into too much detail (!!) I suffered a great deal of pain and inconvenience for several months afterwards. That's why I have waited so long to attempt a fat fast. But hey, you live and learn. I won't be doing another fat fast for a few months at least. I don't want to go through that again.

So that's me. I still have over 4 stones to lose, but at least I'm off that plateau now and am happy to stay at this weight for a while if I have to. Good luck with finding the right answer for yourself. This is the one that worked for me. :)

Thanks so much for the details, I've had problems with constipation since I began LCHF(never before if anything the opposite with IBS) Not had IBS since I began LCHF and I now take pysillium husks every two days and occasionally GG Bran crackers 6g carb. So I think I'm prepared... will let you know when I try it (thinking about the bad breath:eek: not next week as I've several appointments and WI meeting) :)