My best HbA1c to date

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins don't cause diabetes, but if you are pre diabetic the small rise in bg will tip you over the threshold.
my main complaint with them was the very achy weak legs, and the almost alzheimer like symptoms they caused.
my current total cholesterol level without statins is 5.9. The doctor would like it lower, funnily when i was 17 and very fit and strong it was 6.3.

Reactions: Paul41

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor last week said statin do not cause diabetes.

Statins my not specifically cause diabetes, but some are known, in some people to raise blood sugars. If that rise increases that person's HbA1c from, say 445 to 49, does that mean it gave them diabetes, or it may have been a contributory factor, or mean nothing at all for statins.

I don't take statins, and unless the evidence was compelling I would not take them, but I do tend to not read too, too much into the "causes diabetes" arguments, because I believe it to be more complex than that. Many medications, including some types of blood pressure tablets, some chemo drugs and so on can also raise blood sugars.

It comes down to personal research and personal choice, having personally weighed up the pros and cons.

Reactions: jjraak