My Covid 19 Hospitalisation - silent hypoxia

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I had a positive PCR test on 30th Oct' 21, so began the 10 days isolation.

I had a headache as my solitary symptom. At this point I stopped exercise and respected the condition with bed rest.

After a few days the headache subsided, so felt I was on the road to recovery. Two days after my positive result my wife and 16 year old also tested positive (my wife lost her sense of smell and taste,which has now come back, and my daughter just some lethargy) .

I was aware that I was loosing weight, despite keeping to my 2 meals a day, which were reduced in portion size as I didn't feel like eating.

I was aware that I was shrinking in size and feeling weak. Intuitively I began to get a 6th sense that all was not right and my wife was beginning to become suspicious about shallow breathing around the 5th Nov; she tested my breathing capabilities.

We ordered an SP02 monitor. My wife began to speculate on Saturday 6th that I might have silent hypoxia. The SP02 monitor arrived on Sunday 7th, which confirmed her suspicions. When the paramedics arrived they immediately put me on 15 litres on oxygen, which brought my SATS to a normal range from 70! (normal is circa 94 - 100)

I am aware that I was probably 24 - 36 hours away from death frankly.

Treatment
So once booked in I had my lungs xrayed. This showed no pneumonia or scarring, so technically Covid Pneumonitis - inflammation of the lungs. This was the first bit of good news, as it meant no infection.

I was administered the steroid dexamethasone and penicillin (along with blood thinning shots over the days).

I was told to ly on my front as much as possible - proning, which I did, so painful but a small price to pay

On 9th Nov my oxygen was reduced from 15 to 10. My SATS were steady between 95 and 97 with this assistance. They tried me on 8 litres on the same day but the SATS were circa 90 -91, so put me back to 10.

I was weighed and had lost 17 kg, from 91 kg to 74! I began a small exercise routine which involved walking backwards and forwards with the constraint on the oxygen mask and cables, some squats and karate blocks. This wiped me out. Over the days I got more confidence and performed 20 squats at a time and 10 pushups, with stretching.

On the 10th Nov the oxygen was moved to 8 litres - SATS were normal at > 94 (the Doctors wanted me always above 92).

The dexamethasone was pushing my blood glucose higher and higher 11 / 12's on the 11th Nov.

On 11th Nov they took my oxygen down to 4 litres. This was great as I could use a canula in place of a face mask - SATS were very good around 98. Blood glucose was now 15, omg. I asked if I could stop the dexamethasone as I was weighing up the good SATS numbers against the potential long term consequences to my beta cells of the continual high sugars. I did not want the Nova Rapid they were offering - mentally I had decided that the steroid was going to be stopped, which I had discussed with my wife

On Friday 12th Nov they took my oxygen down to 2 and I did not have any further steroids - SATS remained normal. My wife had brought in my glucose monitor which showed an 8. They put me down to 1 litre of oxygen, then at 23.55 took me off oxygen.

I was discharged on Sunday 14th Nov.

Observations
  1. Paramedics were excellent
  2. Food was too regimented into standards. Breakfast for example was cereals, porridge or toast. There was no option to have eggs, so I skipped this. Lunch was marginally better with options such as cheese salad. Dinner was hit a miss. My wife brought me in food such as sliced beef, chicken, yogurt, berries, sardines, nuts and dark chocolate. You have to have labels on your food to go into the fridge.
  3. The nursing staff were phenomenal, so attentive. I was nervous as Colchester General used to be in special measures, but my stay was like a private hospital (bar the food).
  4. The room was cleaned continually. Sheets changed daily.
  5. The Doctors and I had some good conversations. I was told my fitness levels helped me recover relatively quickly. The main Doctor showed alot of interest in my Type 2 remission, he discussed this with me around 3 times over differing days - genuine interest
  6. The prone position dramatically improves blood saturation. I believe it would be a great idea to have some sort of construction that makes it possible to be suspended on the bed in this position with a bit more comfort.
  7. I have been walking 7 miles plus a day at a slow pace. I am doing 2 minor resistance training single set exercise routines, using an X3 bar, spiderman pushups and leg extensions - absolutely destroys me. I have lost 7 kg of muscle and around 60% of my strength and I estimate 70% endurance.
  8. I have increased my protein (breakfast)
    upload_2021-11-19_22-42-6.png
  9. (Dinner)
  10. upload_2021-11-19_22-49-39.png

11. My blood glusocose control is almost back to normal yesterday fbg 4.9, today 4.4 (normal), adhoc after dinner and walk 5.7 (around 3 points higher than normal).
  12. I would advise anyone who gets Covid to immediately get a SATS SP02 monitor, they are only circa £15.00 and can save your life. Silent Hypoxia is similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, glad to hear you're on the mend, although not there yet!
Wish you all the best in your further recovery!

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Glad you were able to write this and looking like on the mend. Stay strong and positive. Well done.

Reactions: Mbaker

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow what a journey! Glad to hear you are on the mend - take care and look after yourself

Reactions: Mbaker

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow, glad to hear you're on the mend, although not there yet!
Wish you all the best in your further recovery!
Thanks, I think I have an idea what someone who is 300 lbs feels like walking 50 metres.

Sugarlisa

I had a positive PCR test on 30th Oct' 21, so began the 10 days isolation.

I had a headache as my solitary symptom. At this point I stopped exercise and respected the condition with bed rest.

After a few days the headache subsided, so felt I was on the road to recovery. Two days after my positive result my wife and 16 year old also tested positive (my wife lost her sense of smell and taste,which has now come back, and my daughter just some lethargy) .

I was aware that I was loosing weight, despite keeping to my 2 meals a day, which were reduced in portion size as I didn't feel like eating.

I was aware that I was shrinking in size and feeling weak. Intuitively I began to get a 6th sense that all was not right and my wife was beginning to become suspicious about shallow breathing around the 5th Nov; she tested my breathing capabilities.

We ordered an SP02 monitor. My wife began to speculate on Saturday 6th that I might have silent hypoxia. The SP02 monitor arrived on Sunday 7th, which confirmed her suspicions. When the paramedics arrived they immediately put me on 15 litres on oxygen, which brought my SATS to a normal range from 70! (normal is circa 94 - 100)

I am aware that I was probably 24 - 36 hours away from death frankly.

Treatment
So once booked in I had my lungs xrayed. This showed no pneumonia or scarring, so technically Covid Pneumonitis - inflammation of the lungs. This was the first bit of good news, as it meant no infection.

I was administered the steroid dexamethasone and penicillin (along with blood thinning shots over the days).

I was told to ly on my front as much as possible - proning, which I did, so painful but a small price to pay

On 9th Nov my oxygen was reduced from 15 to 10. My SATS were steady between 95 and 97 with this assistance. They tried me on 8 litres on the same day but the SATS were circa 90 -91, so put me back to 10.

I was weighed and had lost 17 kg, from 91 kg to 74! I began a small exercise routine which involved walking backwards and forwards with the constraint on the oxygen mask and cables, some squats and karate blocks. This wiped me out. Over the days I got more confidence and performed 20 squats at a time and 10 pushups, with stretching.

On the 10th Nov the oxygen was moved to 8 litres - SATS were normal at > 94 (the Doctors wanted me always above 92).

The dexamethasone was pushing my blood glucose higher and higher 11 / 12's on the 11th Nov.

On 11th Nov they took my oxygen down to 4 litres. This was great as I could use a canula in place of a face mask - SATS were very good around 98. Blood glucose was now 15, omg. I asked if I could stop the dexamethasone as I was weighing up the good SATS numbers against the potential long term consequences to my beta cells of the continual high sugars. I did not want the Nova Rapid they were offering - mentally I had decided that the steroid was going to be stopped, which I had discussed with my wife

On Friday 12th Nov they took my oxygen down to 2 and I did not have any further steroids - SATS remained normal. My wife had brought in my glucose monitor which showed an 8. They put me down to 1 litre of oxygen, then at 23.55 took me off oxygen.

I was discharged on Sunday 14th Nov.

Observations
  1. Paramedics were excellent
  2. Food was too regimented into standards. Breakfast for example was cereals, porridge or toast. There was no option to have eggs, so I skipped this. Lunch was marginally better with options such as cheese salad. Dinner was hit a miss. My wife brought me in food such as sliced beef, chicken, yogurt, berries, sardines, nuts and dark chocolate. You have to have labels on your food to go into the fridge.
  3. The nursing staff were phenomenal, so attentive. I was nervous as Colchester General used to be in special measures, but my stay was like a private hospital (bar the food).
  4. The room was cleaned continually. Sheets changed daily.
  5. The Doctors and I had some good conversations. I was told my fitness levels helped me recover relatively quickly. The main Doctor showed alot of interest in my Type 2 remission, he discussed this with me around 3 times over differing days - genuine interest
  6. The prone position dramatically improves blood saturation. I believe it would be a great idea to have some sort of construction that makes it possible to be suspended on the bed in this position with a bit more comfort.
  7. I have been walking 7 miles plus a day at a slow pace. I am doing 2 minor resistance training single set exercise routines, using an X3 bar, spiderman pushups and leg extensions - absolutely destroys me. I have lost 7 kg of muscle and around 60% of my strength and I estimate 70% endurance.
  8. I have increased my protein (breakfast)View attachment 52147
  9. (Dinner)
  10. View attachment 52148
  11. My blood glusocose control is almost back to normal yesterday fbg 4.9, today 4.4 (normal), adhoc after dinner and walk 5.7 (around 3 points higher than normal).
  12. I would advise anyone who gets Covid to immediately get a SATS SP02 monitor, they are only circa £15.00 and can save your life. Silent Hypoxia is similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sounds like me in November last year I did 3.5 weeks in hospital after been blue light by my g.p was tested covid + and with x-rays of black lungs got the diagnosis of covid pneumonia and covid diabetes before coming home with type 2 and putting it in remission with my diet and exercise

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds like me in November last year I did 3.5 weeks in hospital after been blue light by my g.p was tested covid + and with x-rays of black lungs got the diagnosis of covid pneumonia and covid diabetes before coming home with type 2 and putting it in remission with my diet and exercise
So you got the opposite side of the same coin along with a side dish of diabetes...hmm. Glad you're sorted now.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Had no idea @Mbaker

Thanks for sharing and glad you’re on the mend.
Thanks. I started with walking the day after discharge (15th Nov). Walking is back to normal now at circa 5 to 7 miles. I am down on strength, but this has been improving steadily, and something positive changed with recovery this Monday (the 3rd rehab week).

Bench press down by 25%, deadlift by 30%.

I was able to do this today:
Screenshot_20211207-214302_Samsung Health.jpg

So it will be interesting to see how long it will take to reach my optimum. I want to get somewhere near, before Omicron touches me.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Sorry I’ve not been following your thread, but extremely pleased you appear to be on a slow road to recovery, take care and stay mentally strong.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I started with walking the day after discharge (15th Nov). Walking is back to normal now at circa 5 to 7 miles. I am down on strength, but this has been improving steadily, and something positive changed with recovery this Monday (the 3rd rehab week).

Bench press down by 25%, deadlift by 30%.

I was able to do this today:
View attachment 52370

So it will be interesting to see how long it will take to reach my optimum. I want to get somewhere near, before Omicron touches me.

All sounds very positive.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only just found this thread.
Have been and bought the monitor you suggested.
Thanks for all the info.