My first hypo!

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2 on insulin [Lantus Solostar] daily injections. I've only been on it since 11th Feb and haven't been getting the results I'm aiming for so have been steadily increasing the dose by two units every three days.
This morning I got a surprise and tested at 6.0 before breakfast. That's the lowest before breakfast I've had.

Anyway, I normally don't have my dinner until 8pm and just before dinner tonight I started feeling weird, heart was racing and felt a bit shaky so I tested and the result was 3.9 :shock: So I took some glucose tablets and then had my dinner. I feel ok now.

My question is - should I reduce my insulin injection tonight?

I'm worried I may have gone too far although I've been three nights at the same amount of insulin.

I haven't eaten any less than I do every day.

Jim

Denise02

Hi hypos r realy scary I'm type 1 also in Lantus as well as novo rapid try just putting it up 1 unit a day and c how u get on with it I've been up 2 atleast 9 units at night it trial and error with it I'm afraid hope u get it worked out and get no more hypos :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sameer

Remember what ever insulin dose you take it takes atleast 1 week for body to settle down ..... So please be careful in changes .....
Take care

Newly daignosed , novomix 30 , 21units in morning and 17 at night , have issues in eating and sleeping pls help me , why my morning BS is always high ???? Late night eating is the problem , so please help me guys

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm type 2 and have been injecting since November, though in my case, I have Lantus before bed as a background dose, and small amounts of Novorapid before each meal (which is more fiddly, but does allow me to tailor my dose to what I'm eating). I've struggled with getting my Lantus right too - it seemed like it was too low last week, but I put it up a couple of units and I've had a couple of hypo's since so I'm thinking of putting it down a unit (I was 4.8 before breakfast today, which is a sure sign I'll be having a hypo soon if I don't get some food into me).

I find if I adjust the lantus dose, it actually takes a couple of days for the difference to start having an effect (don't know if this is everyone or just me!)

6.0 before breakfast sounds good. If you put the Lantus down again, its going to make your figures go up (although a little bit higher than 6 probably wouldn't do any harm. But if you're going a long time between lunch and dinner, and aren't (like me) taking quick-acting insulin at meal-times, it might be worth considering having a snack in the afternoons - especially if you're doing more exercise than normal. I've found that something as simple as a 20 minute walk to the shops can give me a hypo if it's too close to dinner time.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I would speak to your nurse or doc. We're not really qualified to tell you to adjust your meds. There may be other factors we are unaware of. Hope you get your dose sorted soon. Good luck.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies :)

I'm seeing the diabetes nurse on Thursday so I will talk to her about it then.

Took one less unit of insulin last night and tested 9.3 this morning. That could be because I pigged out in panic following the hypo.

Jim