1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My first year being T1D

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by derivadow, Jul 11, 2020.

1. derivadow

derivadow Type 1 · Member

Hi, it is almost my first diaversary (T1DM September 2019, aged 47).

All in all the last year or so feels like a curates egg to me. I’m probably otherwise healthier than I’ve been for years but: I’m diabetic, I wasn’t this time last year; we’re in the middle of a pandemic etc.

I sometimes find that writing helpful, helps me order my thoughts. So I wrote this;

https://medium.com/@derivadow/one-year-on-8df84fea701b

I thought others might enjoy it; might find some solace in shared experiences. In any case it’s my last year plus a dash of politics, history of medicine and gaming.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the blog!

Just to make sure, you are aware your identity is clear from your blog, aren't you? No problem but I thought to ask, seeing as you use an anonimised profile on here.

Keep it up, sounds like you've got a strong hold on your diabetes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. derivadow

derivadow Type 1 · Member

Thank you and thanks for pointing that out. Yes I’m ok with people knowing who I am (here and there). Also I can think of no other forum I’m part of where anyone would point this out

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum @derivadow :)

Sounds like you have adapted very well and are doing a great job with your control.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

At DCUK, we take member safety and security very seriously.

Historically, we have had a small number of members who have, some time into their membership, have felt they have divulged too much personal "stuff" on forum - whether, relating to their identity, or their condition, in their challenging periods.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to use your given name, but if any time you feel you might rather not have done that, your user name can be changed, if you let someone in the Mod Team know. It isn't something you can do yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@derivadow blog is pretty good. You seem to have "got this" I am 49 years in and am still learning new things on a weekly basis ----- well it may be monthly now lol.
    Does it get any easier.....? Hmmmmm for long termers then yes, without a doubt it is a million times easier now with all the tech available to help

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook