1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My first year of LCHF

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by sanguine, Apr 24, 2015.

1. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I challenge you to get that little lot down to 140 characters. ;)

OK, I know that's not really what was meant, but it made me smile, in my warped little world. :D

• Like Like x 4
  2. rose petals 1

rose petals 1 Type 2 · Member

Fantastic you are an inspiration to all Type 2 diabetics on diet only.I am about to start the Type 2 testing programme when the kit arrives looking forward to better control knowing when my blood level spikes.My only concern with the LCHF diet is I don't need to loose weight I am under nine stone so don't want to loose anymore.Has anybody yet tried the Type 2 Testing Programme if so how successful is it? Rose Petals 1

3. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @rose petals 1 , welcome and thanks for your post :)

Regarding your own question can I suggest you start that as a new separate post in order to get a wider range of responses?

4. rose petals 1

Thanks sanguine I have been having trouble as to where I go to start a new thread.can you help

5. rose petals 1

Thanks Pip
    Will give it a go

6. vintageutopia

vintageutopia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

7. Southport GP

Southport GP HCP · Well-Known Member
    Verified HCP

Well done !!
    Very clearly put Similar experience to quite a number of my own patients
    Thanks for including the link to my work too. I hope to have something more comprehensive out in Diabesity in practice soon

• Like Like x 6
    #28 Southport GP, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:53 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  8. daddys1

daddys1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@sanguine, very well done, exceptionally clear, there is nothing to argue against there.

Excellent, I do hope they give you the time to let you present it at the surgery.

Neil

• Like Like x 3
  9. trotskyite

trotskyite · Well-Known Member

Fantastic job.
    May I suggest that you may have done better than you think. I advocate hflc diets for diabetics, but before I knew about hflc I lost a similar amount of weight from bmi 31 to 25 using a high carb low fat diet. I was, and am now normally glycemic with an hba1c of 36 , even on 400g of carbs a day. If you tested yourself with a ogtt you may find you now have a normal tolerance of carbs. I only say this because it is good for me to know I can occasionally splurge on high carb meals and know I am not going over 7 so I don't feel guilt etc You may also confuse the gp as mine said it was impossible before I did it :)
    Best of luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks but I don't think so @trotskyite - when I occasionally do have more carbs than I should (a pub Sunday roast for instance) my BG levels tell me about it in no uncertain terms. I'm not planning on pushing the envelope further as I don't even really enjoy them when I do have them.

11. trotskyite

That's true about enjoying carbs. I've lately noticed I am very apathetic towards ice-cream, crisps and honey nut cereal which 3 years ago were a staple part of my diet. Even though I allow myself anything I want, very occasionally, the pleasure of eating those things have gone. Luckily! lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Excellent and inspirational post. Just what I needed to read after a carby weekend. Many thanks.

13. ProjectMorris

ProjectMorris Type 2 · Active Member

Ok I am also a scientist by education and similarly sceptical without proof. I too have reduced carbs and rice, pasta, bread etc all previous firm favourites no longer feature in my list of foods. I too have had a pleasing reduction in weight 16+St to 12st 10lbs now with a target of 12st 7lbs, in six months. Regular readings are in the 5-7's blood pressure, Hba1c readings to 48 down from 93 on diagnosis. I fall off the wagon occasionally. I suffer with really dark days mentally occasionally. Ok to the point. I have been successful with a lot fat low carb diet. The thought of now increasing my calorific intake with a high fat diet fills me with a bit of concern. If you go to your doctor and say "I'm about to embark on a high fat diet" you would be unlikely to get unreserved support. My concern is that you would potentially swap one problem for another. I can't get past the possible negative impact of an increased fat diet. Arterial sclerosis, high cholesterol weight gain, heart attack and stroke. How can these be ignored? I'm not being negative but investigative. If there is argument that shows that an elevated fat diet comes without its own issues then I'd be interested to hear it and see the evidence.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Fair comments @ProjectMorris but purely by my own experience, they make no difference at all to me. There is a lot of debate about this very subject of the forum, but I can tell you this .... what might work for one might not work for another. Helpful? Of course it isn't. Many swear by it. others do not and I can (and do) respect all opinions. I am SOOOO boring with my diet, it annoys me no end but you have to keep going and see what works for you.

As for those other "hangups", yep, I get them too so I know how that feels. I look at my sweet wife, know she's beside me and just get on with what this is all about ... life

I wish you well :) Mike

• Like Like x 5
  15. ProjectMorris

ProjectMorris Type 2 · Active Member

Cheers, a good response and I appreciate your openness. All the best to you and yours.

16. VinnyJames

VinnyJames Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

You have [email protected]

Consider me one of them and thanks for your thoughts. I had to dig deep (still not quite got there yet but I keep trying) and without some good GOOD people on this board, I'd be nowhere near where I'm at. It is HARD work. Anyone who suggests it isn't is an idiot. What is the difference is their attitude to mine (or yours for that matter) when you witness what they do and you draw inspiration from their courage in the face of an adversity I once ignored, simply because I could. They're my "family" so to speak. They always will be. Only When we leave this place do we regret what we did not do.

Take good care Mike :)

• Like Like x 5
  18. cyclist

cyclist Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Sanguine

My results mirror yours and I am following my own nose instead of the advice doled out by the DN at my GP
    Even the dietitian at my GP had to agree that the Eatwell Plate was not fit for purpose and that I should ignore the advice that she was legally obliged to give me...

From Dec 2014 when I was diagnosed at 16.1 my Hb1Ac was 6.5 in April 2015
    Also using a 50% lower dose of Metformin than originally prescribed

22kg weight loss in the past 15 months and now weighing 75.8kgs with more to lose
    10 inches off the waist (5 sizes down), 4 suit jacket sizes down and feeling amazing

All my figures have rapidly improved and are now within acceptable levels

Its great to see yourself and others supporting all those starting on the path to looking after themselves, and helping to counter some of the bad (dangerous) advice being given out by the medical professionals

• Like Like x 4
  19. trotskyite

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook