1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My first year of LCHF

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by sanguine, Apr 24, 2015.

1. trotskyite

trotskyite · Well-Known Member

It would be wrong not to include the usual controversy though lol :
    "study author, Emanuele Di Angelantonio of the University of Cambridge, says the main problem is that the paper was "wrongly interpreted by the media." "We are not saying the guidelines are wrong and people can eat as much saturated fat as they want. We are saying that there is no strong support for the guidelines and we need more good trials."

Willett says correcting the paper isn't enough. "It is good that they fixed it for the record, but it has caused massive confusion and the public hasn't heard about the correction." The paper should be withdrawn, he argues.

The controversy should serve as a warning about meta-analyses, Willett adds. Such studies compile the data from many individual studies to get a clearer result. "It looks like a sweeping summary of all the data, so it gets a lot of attention," Willett says. "But these days meta-analyses are often done by people who are not familiar with a field, who don't have the primary data or don't make the effort to get it.""
    http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2...rors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats

2. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

3. trotskyite

#43 trotskyite, May 3, 2015 at 5:04 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  4. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @ProjectMorris, thanks for your post. I too was initially sceptical about high fat, following the usual years if not decades of having the fat/cholesterol mantra pushed at us. But reading up about LCHF (hopefully you have looked at the links in my sig) and also books like Malcolm Kendrick's 'The Great Cholesterol Con' and Duane Graveline's 'The Statin Damage Crisis' convinced me otherwise - you have to get your calories from somewhere (and I would be worried about a LCLF diet such as yours) and in evolutionary terms getting it from fat seems entirely logical as opposed to the refined carbs we as a species have only had access to in the last couple of centuries. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, combining it with reducing carbs allows the body to preferentially burn fat as a fuel and makes it easy to judge when you need to eat and when you have had enough.

Obviously I can't tell you what to eat, I can only pass on my own very positive experience which, as a scientist, I am continuing to test and explore.

Best wishes,

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

WOW......Inspirational.....thank you so much. I am going to make you my role model and follow in your footsteps. I can only hope I have the same success :) Well done

• Like Like x 4
  6. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. bootyful0

bootyful0 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this, its both brilliant and encouraging.

8. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great post, Rod. My reversal of type 2 diabetes took a very similar path as yours (maybe because we're both geologists?). It just shows that LCHF is not a fluke, although my diabetes nurse seems to think it is. I think she is waiting to see my cholesterol numbers before really buying into it. I might print out your post and show it to her. I have a dream that she'll see the light and start giving advice to her patients that will actually work (i.e. LCHF real non-processed food) and that people higher up in the system will notice that she has a phenomenal success rate in reversing type 2 in her patients and they'll be interested in finding out how she is doing it and the whole system gets changed and we save billions of dollars and my taxes go down. Hey, it could happen!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And then you woke up!!!! My DN tried to disuade from the ND as I am already underweight, although I was a healthy weight before I cut the carbs. She said she could put me on more drugs so I could increse my carbs.When I insisted I wanted to give it a go she asked me to see a dietician first. The dietician also tried to dissuade me and said I needed to put on weight not lose it. When I told her that the object was not to lose weight but see if I could reverse my diabetes she said OK to the diet but once I had finished it I needed to go back to eating carbs with every meal! I agreed and left.

10. littlelin

littlelin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic reading and so great to hear all the positives, I halved my carbs since diagnoused
    and linger around the 6 magic number now having lost weight too, (that bit gets expensive but charity shops are doin g well!)
    Now have to gear up to loose the next stone to 9
    . I,M 4'10" SO THE BARREL IS SHRINKING WITH THANKS TO THE SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT OF YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE.
    THANK YOU XX

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done, keep up the good work. I too have had to go the charity route but with little success as I now take a size 6 jeans and they don't seem to stock them!!!! Don't want to get rid of my size 8s as I hope to get back in them once I can eat more. Sadly my BG figures are not as good as yours.

12. piersie

piersie Type 2 · Member

Very good, pretty much my story. Diagnosis level 67, nurse said take these tablets. I said, wan't to change lifestile first. She said 'ooh dont think you can do that !'. Went on newcastle diet and started exercising (after 20 years sedentary occupation - the silent killer) lost 3 stone. Latest HBA1c 36. Doctor said to me, 'well done, most people are happy to take the pills and carry on getting fatter' Wife pointed out that the practice never offered an alternative ! To be fair to the doctors they have a parade of people coming through their doors, whom they tell should give up smoking,drinking and sitting on their a%%$s who never do, so no wonder they are cynical and less than supportive to those who are prepared to help themselves !

• Like Like x 6
  13. Magsx1

Magsx1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am really impressed with your weight loss! I have just started (two weeks) on no bread,rice,potatoes, pasta, I need to lose at least 3 stone, I have lost 10 lbs so far, but had a drink the other night to my regret put almost 3lb back on overnight! But it's off again now, stories like yours really inspire me and I'm sure many other people.
    My HBA1c is already down to 38 and my DNS seems pleased.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Magsx1

Magsx1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amazing, wish I had seen this when first diagnosed!

15. Klangley

Klangley Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A truly inspirational story. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

16. lbd

lbd Family member · Member

Hi Trotskyite... I'm very interested in hearing your results from HCLF, were you able to track your Blood markers ala the types that Sanguine reported before & during that period ??
    Cheers

17. littlelin

littlelin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for my medal - made my day xx

18. trotskyite

Hi. I haven't got them to hand at the moment but they are in a drawer. From memory at diagnosis my total cholesterol was 8.5. vldl off the scale. triglycerides off the scale. I got results for my cholesterol 2days ago : total 4.8, hdl 1.02, ldl 2.85, trigs 2.11
    I lost 30kg and had a bmi of 24 however I could not get cholesterol down below 6.5 on any "normal" diet (I tried for 3years) in the last year I tried fully plant based low fat (15%), high veg and fruit, 15% prot and this has done the trick I have also started to lose a bit of fat as well which I needed so all good. Hba1c still normal 33mmol.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook