My Freestyle Libre Experience

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly, a disclaimer.. I've been off work for about 10 days while I recover from an operation. I'm active, but it means I've had more time to concentrate on my diabetes management than perhaps I would have if I was at work! (I'm T1 for 19 years).

My last hba1c was 7.1, and tends to be around the 7.0 mark.

I've been using the libre since the 23rd November. My control was ok-ish. But the hba1c was a result of big high and big lows, which isn't great..

The information the libre gives me has completely changed how I manage my diabetes. Patterns and insights mean so much, that in a relatively short space of time I've managed to overhaul my bg readings. Not only is the average down, but the massive high peaks have mostly gone too!

So here's my first 9 days, and the following 14 (day 10 when when things started to change for the better!)

I hope this gives confidence to people to try out the libre. I can only hope this becomes available to everyone on the NHS soon. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this can save lives.

I only hope I can keep it up when I'm back to work :O

ZziDsB5.jpg

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
great result and great graphs, what basal insulin are you on?

Well done.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cant actually see the image at work unfortunately......

did the libre data cause changes to diet or dose?

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
great result and great graphs, what basal insulin are you on?

Well done.
Thanks, I'm not resting on my laurels. I can see my body saying "this is going too well, better change things up for a bit" lol.

I'm on Lantus, once a day before bed. Although I'm contemplating bringing this earlier to help prolonged night lows..

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cant actually see the image at work unfortunately......

did the libre data cause changes to diet or dose?
Not diet. I've changed my basal after using the libre. Given myself a bit more than I used to, which might have gone towards the night lows, but feels better during the day (may experiment splitting the dose).

I've refined my carb ratio a little bit, seeing trends has really helped this. I've also started to bolus before I eat. I used to be lax about this, usually doing it after finishing my meal. Again, seeing what my bg actually does as a result helped me make that change.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another significant change actually, I used to take dextrose whenever my bg was around 4-5. I'd be certain it was about to drop..

Now I can see that if it's 5.0 and has been for the past hour, it's unlikely to move. That's really helped keep me level and avoid big spikes.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so would you say the Libre has been revelation or has it simply helped you discipline yourself... ;)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've changed my basal after using the libre. Given myself a bit more than I used to, which might have gone towards the night lows, but feels better during the day (may experiment splitting the dose).

that's why I was asking as you seemed to be dipping a bit low over night, although great during the day, I was either going to suggest splitting it if it was Levemir (Lantus isn't split that often but it can be done) or take it in the morning instead. Assuming you've dabbled with basal somewhere between the then and now dosages.

One noticeable change in diet - you've had on average more carbs per day now than before! (although you may not log every carb?!) (for @novorapidboi26 's benefit 44g before, 70g currently)

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so would you say the Libre has been revelation or has it simply helped you discipline yourself... ;)
Both! Yes both tbh. Revelation because I don't have to guess anymore, which I felt like i was doing (which may have accounted me pricking my fingers about 15 times day before the libre).

And discipline because I can quickly and easily see undeniable proof if I don't do something I know I should have..

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's why I was asking as you seemed to be dipping a bit low over night, although great during the day, I was either going to suggest splitting it if it was Levemir (Lantus isn't split that often but it can be done) or take it in the morning instead. Assuming you've dabbled with basal somewhere between the then and now dosages.

Morning may be an interesting change, I've gone from 24 to the 28. I think Lantus is supposed to peak ever so slightly a few hours after injecting? Thanks for the suggestion, I may give it a try. I've always only ever taken it at night so hadn't really thought about that.

What's the difference between Lantus and levermir? Active period?

One noticeable change in diet - you've had on average more carbs per day now than before! (although you may not log every carb?!) (for @novorapidboi26 's benefit 44g before, 70g currently)

Yep I think that was just me getting used to logging my carbs more than a change in diet. I'm been pretty strict about logging it once I underfoot the benefits reporting wise.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both Lantus and Levemir are reported as 24hr lasting insulins - but that's not quite true. I'm not too sure why levemir is generally more acceptable to split - it may have a slightly more smoother profile.

The thinking behind taking it in the morning for you is you'd be awake and alert to any impending lows and can deal with them or can be managed with different I:C ratios to compensate - your lunch time ratio may need to change.

It's not good being low for quite some time whilst asleep - high 3s are probably ok but anything lower and you're going to be in trouble if later that day you have another hypo and the liver hasn't had chance to restock it's glucose store.

love the 'underfoot' auto correction/typo!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously you should also speak to your DSN before making a change to your basal routine.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hah! Oh and thanks for the insulin chart, useful.

My bg never used to dip at night, and now it's a consistent low, i.e doesn't fluctuate much. It feels like a smallish change to my basal shouldn't have done that, but maybe dropping a couple units is a good experiment.

Thanks for the clarification over the morning dose. The more I think about it, the more it feels like a good idea.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hah! Oh and thanks for the insulin chart, useful.

My bg never used to dip at night, and now it's a consistent low, i.e doesn't fluctuate much. It feels like a smallish change to my basal shouldn't have done that, but maybe dropping a couple units is a good experiment.

Thanks for the clarification over the morning dose. The more I think about it, the more it feels like a good idea.
I would not bother with Levemir, at 28u/day it probably will not last the 24 hrs and you will have to split which means it becomes even shorter lasting. If you need to change push to try Tresiba that is much better at lower doses (I'm on 23u Tresiba now having struggled to get consistent profile through the day with Levemir even at 45u/day)

Lorraine83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had nothing but bad sensors from these. And at £50 ish I think it really bad. I keep buying them because it helps keep me motivated but I am yet again sending one back and may have up to 30 days for a replacement

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had nothing but bad sensors from these. And at £50 ish I think it really bad. I keep buying them because it helps keep me motivated but I am yet again sending one back and may have up to 30 days for a replacement
What was bad about them? So far mine have been perfect, and at least they seem very happy to replace if any issues. Fingers crossed mine stay good, and yours get better!