my insulin pen keeps breaking do i complain to the makers or the pharmacy.

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
hi all my insulin pen I use 3 times a day keeps breaking like the plunger breaks half way through the injection and I get a new pen out of fridge and that does the same thing as the one before . it is not the first time this has happened to me I do take extreme care of all my medication but I getting ti the stafe where I fed up with this .
I complained to the pharmacy they wrote a letter stating the reason why they giving the box of insulin pens back .

do I go back to the pharmacy r do I ring the company myself and ask them for their advice on this .

help me I stuck

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I personally would complain to both( but that's just me). I would also give the pharmacy and makers the batch number and keep a note of it yourself. Hope that helps.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use replaceable cartridge (i.e. not disposable) pens and they are very sturdy. These go with NovoDisk insulins and are called Novopen. Not sure what would be available for your insulin(s). I guess if it becomes a real problem you could change insulin and use a different pen. I suspect the re-usable pens are better quality as they aren't thrown away; just the cartridge?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Definately both, i had a bad batch a while ago

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would complain to both but also mention it to your diabetes team, they might recommend an alternative pen.

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
hi thank u for ure reply I on novorapid flexpen 3 times daily and this pen keeps breaking on me think the pharmacy thinks I thick cause I complained once before took no notice of it and what next wait till I get so high I taken away in ambulance and than they think to themselves maybe they sud hve taken notice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi thank u for ure reply I on novorapid flexpen 3 times daily and this pen keeps breaking on me think the pharmacy thinks I thick cause I complained once before took no notice of it and what next wait till I get so high I taken away in ambulance and than they think to themselves maybe they sud hve taken notice

If I were you I'd ask your gp or consultant to change you over to the NovoPen Echo, it's a great pen for injecting novorapid insulin as it comes with a built-in memory function, once you have given yourself an injection you can go back later and see how much you've injected and the time that has lapsed since that time, meaning no more mistakes where you mistakenly inject twice.

Pattidevans

If I were you I'd ask your gp or consultant to change you over to the NovoPen Echo, it's a great pen for injecting novorapid insulin as it comes with a built-in memory function, once you have given yourself an injection you can go back later and see how much you've injected and the time that has lapsed since that time, meaning no more mistakes where you mistakenly inject twice.
With due respect the Novopen Echo doesn't tell you the amount of your last dose. It just tells you how many hours since your last dose. The humapen Memoir used to work as you describe but that was discontinued due to battery problems a couple of years ago.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As Noblehead says the Novopen Echo is excellent and it's what I use for my Novorapid. It also does half-units.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

iHs

I completely agree with Daibell..... insulins pens that take cartridges are much better in build quality whereas the disposable pens are not. I would complain in writing to Novo to see what their response is but get GP to issue a prescription for a pen that delivers in half units and takes cartridges. Try the Echo......

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App