My Insulin use

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
ok I have been seeing a consultant at hospital but have now been referred to my local hospital team the consultant knew that with all my other medications I only had one meal a day and I was smoking (not had a ciggie in over a year now) but he was quite happy for me to take my treseba insulin and also the Novorapid although your supposed to take the Novorapid after each meal I couldn’t because I don’t eat 3 times a day. While I was taking them like this it was working great from my average of 19 on my meter which my consultant was happy with taking the 2 insulin’s it brought my reading down to anywhere from 12-15 which I was really happy with in August toting touch with diabetes team near me totell them the good news only for them to turn round and say “oh well as your not eating 3 times a day you can’t use the Novorapid I told them how well I was doing but still got to stop the Novorapid. I wasn’t happy but I went home and tried just taking the treseba insulin and within a few days my levels were over 25 and some days over 30 so contacted my diabetes team and told them again being told not to use the treseba which I was flabbergasted at but the following day I myself put the Novorapid back into me and low and behold my levels started dropping again and they are still on my repeat prescription so I am still using them both. So does anyone think I should do what the diabetes team or carry on as I am because my way is defiantly working lol

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to get it sorted. You may find that your prescription suddenly stops leaving you up the creek.....

D

Deleted Account

I am not sure I understand. Can you describe when you were taking your Novorapid and how you were calculating your dose?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The advantage of a basal/bolus system is that you do not have to eat three times a day. Contact your team and ask why they say you need to eat regularly.
I generally find that injecting before eating is more effective.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. we definitely need more info. Are you only taking your novarapid ONCE a day, ie with the one meal that you do have? The only reason I can think of that would make them balk at your use of novarapid is if you were taking it throughout the day, without food when your levels were high, even then people do use novarapid to bring down a high without food. It does sound strange that's for sure. As an aside, 12 to 14 is too high anyway so they need to do something. When are you testing and getting these 30 readings?, you can't go on like that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you may have been given poor advice or your team have mis-understood you. Novorapid should be taken with each meal that has measurable carbs in it. You should inject before the meal not after. You should adjust the dosage to take account of the carbs in the meal (called carb-counting). You can eat when you want and take the Novorapid when there are measurable carbs such as 30gm or more? When testing don't 'stack' the insulin i.e. inject no less than several hours apart unless you are adding more carbs as you have to take account of the need for the insulin to work on the earlier meal