My Issues - Continued

Triceraptors

I posted before about BG issues. Today I had appointment with an endo and before that, I ate large avocado, brussels sprouts, lots of chicken and spinach.

My BG rose from 4.4 to 7.0 in 2 hours, then stayed at 6.x for the next 2-3 hours. When I went to an endo, it was 15:00, 6 hours after meal and it was 4.8.

When I am at 6.x, there is strong fruity smell and feeling tired and letgargic. My body stays in this for a longer period now than previously (2-3 weeks ago) but endo still think all is fine.

I am still eating low carb and now protein started to increase my blood sugar. I have added a beta blocker 2 weeks ago, not sure if it affects insulin resistance or anything, there is some research on it.

I am worried that there is a rapid decline of my blood sugar control because meals with less carbs now get me higher and keep me there for longer.

Any ideas please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on the type of Beta Blocker.
https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20120516081816351223

Beta blockers in diabetes and insulin resistance:

• studies, such as the Losartan Intervention for Endpoint Reduction in Hypertension Study (LIFE) (3) with Atenolol, the Carvedilol or Metoprolol European Trial (COMET) (4) with metoprolol have shown a 22% to 28% increase of new-onset diabetes with traditional beta beta-blockers that can increase insulin resistance (and hence hyperglycaemia) (5)
  • side effects of beta -blockers in the patient with diabetes include increased insulin resistance with worsening glycemic control
  • increased frequency of hypoglycemia and its lack of recognition can also be a problem in the insulin-deficient patient but is a minimal problem with the patient with type 2 diabetes (5)
  • there is evidence that some beta-blockers may have 'insulin-sensitising properties' (5)
    • carvedilol, a nonselective beta-blocker had vasodilating and insulin-sensitizing properties, and is the ideal beta-blocker for the patient with diabetes (5)
    • carvedilol is a third generation beta-blocker in comparison with atenolol which is a second generation beta blocker