My life changed!

nietos3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I am Deborah and I now have diabetes type 1! After dialysis for two years and finally having a miracle kidney transplant in April 2014 I thought I could finally have a healthier life.Everything was going fine until this January. When I was rushed in an emergency ambulance to Colchester general hospital. I felt I was going to die! My sugar levels were 52.1 which didn't mean much to me at the time. After being in intensive care I knew something was very wrong. I was so scared!
Eventually the doctor came and told me I was type 1 diabetic and it was induced by all the medication I was on to protect my new kidney. The steroids have given me diabetes! Utter shock, as I was needle phobic, and the realisation of having to inject myself four times a day forever really hit me.
Normally I am a very strong person and cope and manage everything life throws at me without a problem. Suddenly overwhelmed I felt unable to cope, I felt so emotional and angry and didn't want to accept it was happening. Due to such high levels I lost my sight for ten weeks this was the worst thing as I was afraid I was never going to see again! My son had to manage everything for me work and home he was a real star! Now I can see again and have found the energy and strength to do all my injections myself. Daily life is still a struggle as I haven't been out the house for three months now. Finally I am now getting my confidence back and feel the time is right to take charge of my life and join the gym and get all this weight off I've gained from staying in doors for so long. The trouble was trying to get my levels stable, I had to keep eating snacks all day to stop getting hypos. Now my levels are getting more stable and I now feel in control for the first time! I felt it was important to write this to give people hope that you can get through this and life is worth living. I am pleased I have conquered this even though it is early days. I am soon going on the carbs course to help me understand my diet more. I have so many things I plan to do I am not going to let this beat me! So hang in there everyone life will and does get better!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, Glad you are starting to feel much better!

Losing your sight must have been extremely scary!

you shouldn't have had to keep constantly snacking to prevent hypos, what insulin regime have you been put on? Some people go into the honeymoon period when first diagnosed but if you had made your diabetes team aware of your hypos your doses should have been lowered.

Good luck with your weight loss and I hope your positive attitude sticks :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

nietos3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Glad you are starting to feel much better!

Losing your sight must have been extremely scary!

you shouldn't have had to keep constantly snacking to prevent hypos, what insulin regime have you been put on? Some people go into the honeymoon period when first diagnosed but if you had made your diabetes team aware of your hypos your doses should have been lowered.

Good luck with your weight loss and I hope your positive attitude sticks :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Hi thank you for your reply as this is my first time posting. First I was on NovoRaid 24 24 24 with lantus 50 at lunch time. This is now been changed to NovoRapid 20 24 24 and lantus 38 at lunch time. I haven't been back to the surgery yet but hope to speak to the diabetic nurse this week to see if I should be changing anything.