Type 1 My protein foods

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
Hi every one iam type 1 one diabetic.Is protein bars pancakes and lattes ok to add to your diet or can it be dangerous for to kidney s

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi every one iam type 1 one diabetic.Is protein bars pancakes and lattes ok to add to your diet or can it be dangerous for to kidney s

Hi Richard, I'm no doctor. I have asked this question myself, when I started on a low carb diet (replacing the missing carbs with protein & fats). I'm type 2 by the way. I was told by someone on this forum (who provided a link to a web page) which said that there is no evidence as of yet to show that eating higher amounts of protein damages healthy kidneys which are functioning perfectly normal. I eat between 95-110 grams per day (most days are at the lower end of those figures). I have been doing it since July last year. My kidney function tests that I get done, so far, have come back normal. If your worried maybe ask your DN.

Reactions: 2 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watch out for the hidden carbs and sugars, I don't use bars much but there are some pretty good protein powders on offer quite often at myprotein, I see they do a few bars , so might be worth checking out............

http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/protein/bars.list

I tend to go for 'real' protein (Chicken, fish etc). The only exception I have is the Atkins shakes 15g protein 1.2grams carbs & now and again I treat myself to the Atkins coconut bars (I love them) 15g protein 1.2g carbs

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to go for 'real' protein (Chicken, fish etc).

Yep me too , but I make an exception for pre/post workout and make my own with just a bit of protein powder in it... (makes a tub last ages:) )

Half banana (only if having no other carbs that day)
tbsp Fage full fat Greek Yogurt
Bit of protein powder
300ml Soya/almond milk
tbsp sugar/salt free peanut butter
mixed berries
Cinnamon

and if I think I can get away with it a bit of honey :rolleyes: , have half before and half after, you can have it without the protein as there is quite a bit in the milk, yogurt and peanut butter , all depends on your daily limit ....