My readings are terrible.. not sure when to test

TheJoshen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. My first post. Just registered today.

I'm 48. I'm a postman (handy for getting regular exercise). I used to be around 14.6 stone in weight, now I'm 13.2. I'm 5ft 10in. There's no history of diabetes in my family.

I was diagnosed with T2 in Oct 2018. I was put on 3 x 500mg Metformin per day and improved my diet. After 6 months my DR was really pleased with me and said my 3 month average reading (can't remember what this is called) was very good. I think that lulled me into a false sense of security. I gradually reverted to bad diet (carbs, chocolate, fruit juice, coke..) thinking that the Metformin would compensate. I carried on like that for over a year and then only recently started to test my bloods at home with the finger prick test kit. My first reading was 24! I was horrified and ashamed that I had been so reckless. That was about a month ago. Since then I have cut back massively on junk but I'm still not perfect. My readings have been all over the place; 18.9, 10.8, 13.5. My best reading recently was 8.3, which I was happy with, but it sounds like 8.3 is still pretty rubbish..

I am testing myself at quite random times. Can somebody give me a bit of advice about when to test so that the results can be meaningfully compared day to day? I've read that someone in my position shouldn't really bother with a morning fasting test.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @TheJoshen and welcome!

For testing the ideal times are immediately before eating and then 2 hours after your first bite. In that way you can see the impact of the food you’re eating and adjust your diet accordingly. Ideally you’re looking for a rise of no more than 2mmols at the 2 hour point.

If you’d like some ideas about what to eat, the low carb section of the forum has some great threads and dietdoctor.com is fab for recipes and food ideas.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To see how your meals affect you test just before you start to eat, and then two hours later.
I don't bother with the morning fasting level either.
If you want chocolate then a high cocoa one is better, but it is quite strong so people tend to have only one square and either let it dissolve slowly or break it up, or make something with it to extend it a bit.
I have low sugar squash - if you want fizzy then there are low carb options.
Using swede or cauliflower instead of potato or rice can help a lot.
There is livlife bread which has only 4 gm of carbs in the admittedly small slices, or there are some good recipes for making low carb baked goods. I bought a waffle maker, and make them using basically egg and cheese with various additions depending on what's to hand.

TheJoshen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay thanks for replying both of you. If I was only going to test myself once per day would you recommend a particular time? Just before bed maybe?

Having read through a lot of posts here it seems like I'm in big trouble with readings so high. I have a friend at work who was running between 13 and 15 most days. He's just had to start injecting insulin. I really want to avoid that. Looks like I'm going to have to make some drastic changes to my diet to avoid ending up the same way. Got to get myself sub 7 somehow..

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
two things to think about. baseline readings and swings/peaks.
so standard advice for baseline is to test in the morning for a consistent measure.
however, this doesn't tell you what is going on when you eat. the stresses and pressures, challenges you are giving your body. it's like saying what is your car's fuel consumption when it's not going anywhere!
some foods will raise your bg some won't, it's not consistent across people, although by and large carbs will raise your bg.
for advice, if you don't want to test much, pick your main meal and test before the first bite and then two hours after. start there.....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t recommend testing once a day. It won’t really tell you anything. If cost is an issue, I’d advise testing rigorously before and after food for a week, learn as much as you can and repeat a few weeks later or ditch carbs ruthlessly so that you’re confident that what you’re eating won’t cause spikes.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I would also recommend testing a lot at the beginning. You will not have to keep up with that level of testing once you work out what things cause higher blood sugar levels. I personally still test regularly so I don't get complacent. The possible consequences are significant so I want to give myself the best chance not to get them.

I really would suggest testing regularly until your levels have settled and are in the right range- by then you will know what food you can/cannot eat.Pasrticularly as you are quite young so all the more reason to get it under control and keep it there./

Good luck and welcome.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well, at least you are not seeing 24 and it appears your numbers are coming down even with the random testing times. So, it looks like progress in the right direction is taking place since cutting back on the carbs and junk.

Here's a good guide for what foods to avoid (Apart from the obvious) and I agree with the advice already posted about testing before and after meals. Click on the red link below for the dietary advice a lot of us recommend.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

And check out www.dietdoctor.com for a lot of info.