My readings

Thomas 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear all,
I stopped using medication (metformin) 2 weeks ago, and my readings are as follows:

1) Fasting before breakfast: usually 120 to 140 mg/dL
2) Two hours after breakfast: usually 130 to 160 mg/dL
3) Before sleep: usually 110 to 130 mg/dL

The problem is, before breakfast measuring is always higher than before sleep (the last night).

Please, give your opinions on my readings, and is it safe to stop medication like in my case?

Thank you in advance.

Thomas

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all,
I stopped using medication (metformin) 2 weeks ago, and my readings are as follows:

1) Fasting before breakfast: usually 120 to 140 mg/dL
2) Two hours after breakfast: usually 130 to 160 mg/dL
3) Before sleep: usually 110 to 130 mg/dL

The problem is, before breakfast measuring is always higher than before sleep (the last night).

Please, give your opinions on my readings, and is it safe to stop medication like in my case?

Thank you in advance.

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

That'd be Dawn Phenomenon. Your liver dumps glucose in the morning to get you some energy to start the day. You probably didn't see those numbers before because that's what metformin does: it tells your liver not to dump so much, and cuts down on the glucose by about 75%. Doesn't do much of anything about what you eat though. I have to say, your numbers are still a bit higher than would be preferred... Have you changed your diet at all? There's a lot to gain there. ( https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html for a quick-start guide).
Hope this helps!
Jo