My story appears on Diabetes UK

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last week I replied to a tweet from Diabetes UK asking for newly diagnosed type II's willing to speak to the media this week following a release of more dreary stats about the number of undiagnosed type II's. The interviews didn't go ahead but my story made it onto the Diabetes UK news page.

I obviously pushed for the low carb diet mention as it has really worked for me :angelic:

Read it here https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Diagnosed-with-diabetes-in-2016/

(I have already posted this link in another thread so very sorry if you've seen it - I'm not all about self promotion :) I just hope it might help someone newly diagnosed who is struggling - I know I did).

Thanks for reading
Andrew aka PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No mention of low carb.

"After four months of taking medication Andrew was able to come off the pills due to his successful lifestyle changes which included losing weight and increasing his exercise."

Sorry, it is mentioned earlier in the article in a quote from you.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Absolutely no mention of carb control, and no way of really getting in touch with them. Scoundrels!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely no mention of carb control, and no way of really getting in touch with them. Scoundrels!
There is mention of carb control in the following quote from @PenfoldAPD

"I wasn’t obese but I was definitely carrying too much weight round my middle. My diagnosis was a real wake-up call. I've chosen to follow a mainly low carb diet as that seems to keep my blood glucose levels under control and I've seen my HbA1c fall dramatically."

Well done Penfold, even if your low carb success wasn't as prominent in the article as some would have liked. Journalists usually have their own agenda and use their subjects' experiences to fit that. I guess the people you chat to on the Internet with diabetes are the members here?

Reactions: Salvia and Serena51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great article @PenfoldAPD - well done on this and your management, it's good to hear success stories like these ;)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There is mention of carb control in the following quote from @PenfoldAPD

"I wasn’t obese but I was definitely carrying too much weight round my middle. My diagnosis was a real wake-up call. I've chosen to follow a mainly low carb diet as that seems to keep my blood glucose levels under control and I've seen my HbA1c fall dramatically."

Well done Penfold, even if your low carb success wasn't as prominent in the article as some would have liked. Journalists usually have their own agenda and use their subjects' experiences to fit that. I guess the people you chat to on the Internet with diabetes are the members here?
Sos, That's me speed reading, missed it tut. I always do that.

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andrew

Well done. How is the swimming going? I too chose that as my exercise and swim every morning (well not Sunday) since about May.. I really love it. I am still trying to get the crawl working properly but it is coming.....next up trying to learn to butterfly, but that is hard. But if it was easy everyone would do it..

Cheers

Mark

Reactions: Prem51
L

_lyn_lyn_1963

Did you go,low carb as a first option. Interested to know if you went sugar free first, or counted any sugars in foods or just went low carb,

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My use of a low carb diet is mentioned and there is a 'Contact Us' but
Andrew

Well done. How is the swimming going? I too chose that as my exercise and swim every morning (well not Sunday) since about May.. I really love it. I am still trying to get the crawl working properly but it is coming.....next up trying to learn to butterfly, but that is hard. But if it was easy everyone would do it..

Cheers

Mark

HI @Kingofnowhere I was always a regular swimmer so love it! Some mornings I hit 64 lenghts :) If you struggle with your stroke I'd suggest a few 1 2 1 lessons, they helped me enormously - and it doesn't take many before you are swimming like a champion!

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I didn't swim for 35 years. Went back to it in April, but then started properly in May, IE started to swim every morning.

Yes, I am having some 1-2-1 lessons. Crawl technique is fine (ish), it is a matter of being able to keep going with it over long distance. It is much more draining that breaststroke. (I can do that all day long).

Anyway I love it, I find it really helps to control the blood sugars, and makes me feel great all day.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pipp

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you go,low carb as a first option. Interested to know if you went sugar free first, or counted any sugars in foods or just went low carb,

Hi, I read about LCHF not long after diagnosis and went for it! Served me well.

Reactions: Prem51

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Last week I replied to a tweet from Diabetes UK asking for newly diagnosed type II's willing to speak to the media this week following a release of more dreary stats about the number of undiagnosed type II's. The interviews didn't go ahead but my story made it onto the Diabetes UK news page.

I obviously pushed for the low carb diet mention as it has really worked for me :angelic:

Read it here https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Diagnosed-with-diabetes-in-2016/

(I have already posted this link in another thread so very sorry if you've seen it - I'm not all about self promotion :) I just hope it might help someone newly diagnosed who is struggling - I know I did).

Thanks for reading
Andrew aka PenfoldAPD[/QUOTE
@PenfoldAPD Hi again, I had a chat & asked a few questions of which you once replied giving good advice to me & I thank you for that. However, the write up I've just read about how you found out about your T2 was really a bit more than a scare for you, yet you handled it so very well. Good report, thank you for sharing it with me. All the best Steve. aka Squeekyboy

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
My use of a low carb diet is mentioned and there is a 'Contact Us' but

HI @Kingofnowhere I was always a regular swimmer so love it! Some mornings I hit 64 lenghts :) If you struggle with your stroke I'd suggest a few 1 2 1 lessons, they helped me enormously - and it doesn't take many before you are swimming like a champion!
Inspired by your swimming stories from Cap D'agde, I swam everyday in Portugal for as long as I could. It was definitely colder on my side of Gibraltar!