My story

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed 2 years ago with HBA1C of 100 went on 2 metformin a day then after first 3 months HBA1C was 37 then 38 so was took off medication for 9 months readings were 48, 51 then 80 so went back on metformin but 4 tablets a day. New reading is 42. I am constantly been told am a bit of a mystery and that I shouldn’t get those readings on metformin alone. Had two thyroid tests all ok. I am convinced there is something else going on instead of diabetes. Quite sick of hearing they don’t know what is going on with me. Finger tests are always so erratic. Any thoughts anyone.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds as though your carbs are all over the place. what are you eating?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's possible you could be a type 1/LADA. Type 1/LADA's make some insulin for up to 8 years or more, so initially medications work but then slowly don't as you make less and less insulin. When things don't make sense and you are doing everything right, you could be a type 1 instead. 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as type 2's at first. I was and it took switching doctors for the new doctor to decide to test me and for me to get properly diagnosed. Just keep it in mind, just in case.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's possible you could be a type 1/LADA. Type 1/LADA's make some insulin for up to 8 years or more, so initially medications work but then slowly don't as you make less and less insulin. When things don't make sense and you are doing everything right, you could be a type 1 instead. 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as type 2's at first. I was and it took switching doctors for the new doctor to decide to test me and for me to get properly diagnosed. Just keep it in mind, just in case.

Actually when I was first diagnosed they did not know if I was type 1 or type 2. Then I hypo on gliclizide and the nurse said that meant I was type 2 xx

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds as though your carbs are all over the place. what are you eating?

That’s the thing the affect me differently on different days. The other day I at bread twice in one day and I got 5.5 that was after dropping medication down. I could eat the same bread tomorrow and get a high reading they are never consistent xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tanmc can you tell us what you eat in a typical day please? Are you testing consistently before and after eating?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Tanmac My first doctor told me that the medications wouldn't work at all if I was type 1. There is a lack of education in doctors regarding type 1/lADA. It wasn't until I switched doctors that I was diagnosed properly. I'm not saying you are a type 1/LADA, you have to be tested to know at this point. But as a type 1/LADA you make insulin erratically for a while, it slowly decreases over time and your numbers will go up no matter what without insulin.. It could explain some of the things, which is why I want you to keep it in mind.