Type 2 My sugar levels question.

VW754

Hi,I've been a diabetic for around 22+ years,when I was first diagnosed I would take my Metformin (500) with my meal and after 2-3 hours my levels use be around 9-9.8

Now (after around 7 years) I'm on 750mg (extended release) and gliclazide 80mg.
If I get up in the morning (depending what time I ate night before) my levels can be around 7.8-8.3
If I have breakfast, either boiled eggs or sometimes just 1 slice of toast,I check my levels after around 3 hours they probably sitting around 16..... after that it's nearly lunch time (4 hours later) problem is after 4 hours my sugar levels are around 14-15 which means if I have lunch they easily hit around the 19-20 mark,but then by the time I check them before I have my evening meal the levels are around 15,which means if I have my evening meal and tablets my sugar gets up to around 18....and stays around that 3 hours later,but in the morning it's dropped to around 8-9.....is that normal for extended release Metformin?

I take Metformin in the morning and a Metformin and gliclazide in the evening.
My hba1c was 7.1 last 2 months ago.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if I have my evening meal and tablets my sugar gets up to around 18....and stays around that 3 hours later,but in the morning it's dropped to around 8-9.....is that normal for extended release Metformin?
Metformin, extended release or otherwise doesn’t have an immediate impact on blood sugar levels, rather it works by preventing the liver from releasing so much glucose. Usually that means a small impact on fasting blood sugar levels and improved insulin sensitivity.

The gliclazide is designed to improve your insulin response after eating and would be the medication having a more direct impact on your blood sugars. From what you’ve said it would seem a conversation with the doctor about adjusting dosage and/or changing to a different medication/ adjusting carb intake would be appropriate.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,I've been a diabetic for around 22+ years,when I was first diagnosed I would take my Metformin (500) with my meal and after 2-3 hours my levels use be around 9-9.8

Now (after around 7 years) I'm on 750mg (extended release) and gliclazide 80mg.
If I get up in the morning (depending what time I ate night before) my levels can be around 7.8-8.3
If I have breakfast, either boiled eggs or sometimes just 1 slice of toast,I check my levels after around 3 hours they probably sitting around 16..... after that it's nearly lunch time (4 hours later) problem is after 4 hours my sugar levels are around 14-15 which means if I have lunch they easily hit around the 19-20 mark,but then by the time I check them before I have my evening meal the levels are around 15,which means if I have my evening meal and tablets my sugar gets up to around 18....and stays around that 3 hours later,but in the morning it's dropped to around 8-9.....is that normal for extended release Metformin?

I take Metformin in the morning and a Metformin and gliclazide in the evening.
My hba1c was 7.1 last 2 months ago.
My first advice is to speak to your GP especially about the Gliczide. It is clearly not doing its job.
Gliczide should in most lower blood glucose levels overall. But what is happening is the spikes are pronounced, I'm not sure why, it could insulin resistance, your insulin response is not very good, with the added c carbs, or maybe something that I have not considered, it is causing the high spikes.
I always thought that the Gliczide would be more effective as a drug, if taken with food in the morning. But I was prescribed meds by my endocrinologist, he insisted it be taken in the morning.
Knowing what foods are a part of causing these spikes, would no doubt help you!

VW754

My first advice is to speak to your GP especially about the Gliczide. It is clearly not doing its job.
Gliczide should in most lower blood glucose levels overall. But what is happening is the spikes are pronounced, I'm not sure why, it could insulin resistance, your insulin response is not very good, with the added c carbs, or maybe something that I have not considered, it is causing the high spikes.
I always thought that the Gliczide would be more effective as a drug, if taken with food in the morning. But I was prescribed meds by my endocrinologist, he insisted it be taken in the morning.
Knowing what foods are a part of causing these spikes, would no doubt help you!
Thanks,I've had 1 toast today and after 3 hours of eating it was 14.6......(7.1 this morning before my slice of toast)
After a total of 6 hours after my breakfast (slice of toast) it's now 8.1.
Had no dinner.
I always take gliclazide with my evening meal as I find it better as evening meal is/can be heavier plus after my evening meal,it's television time where as during the day,when I'm at work,I try burn off breakfast..... occasionally I come home for lunch too.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks,I've had 1 toast today and after 3 hours of eating it was 14.6......(7.1 this morning before my slice of toast)
After a total of 6 hours after my breakfast (slice of toast) it's now 8.1.
Had no dinner.
I always take gliclazide with my evening meal as I find it better as evening meal is/can be heavier plus after my evening meal,it's television time where as during the day,when I'm at work,I try burn off breakfast..... occasionally I come home for lunch too.
That does seem a sensible choice, possibly logical. However, the drug is designed to be a help with your dietary intake through the day when you usually eat three meals with maybe a snack (or two)
However, there might be a gap of over eight hours, when asleep, also before bed when the drug is not used as purposed within your blood glucose levels.
You don't need to carb up for work, eating sensibly through the day will be better. You don't need to have roller coaster blood glucose levels every day, especially when the drug you take doesn't help as much as it could.
It does seem that you may be carb intolerant, or intolerant to grains, if that is the spike off a piece of toast. Insulin resistance, first phase insulin response, and already high spikes.
Have you tried a low carb diet?

Reactions: VashtiB

VW754

That does seem a sensible choice, possibly logical. However, the drug is designed to be a help with your dietary intake through the day when you usually eat three meals with maybe a snack (or two)
However, there might be a gap of over eight hours, when asleep, also before bed when the drug is not used as purposed within your blood glucose levels.
You don't need to carb up for work, eating sensibly through the day will be better. You don't need to have roller coaster blood glucose levels every day, especially when the drug you take doesn't help as much as it could.
It does seem that you may be carb intolerant, or intolerant to grains, if that is the spike off a piece of toast. Insulin resistance, first phase insulin response, and already high spikes.
Have you tried a low carb diet?
Thanks.....bit weird to be honest after 3 hours of eating tonight (chip butty) it's 8.1 which is fantastic!
Do you think I should try gliclazide in the morning with Metformin with breakfast and then have lunch and see what readings I get by tea time...?
Only worry if I do that is.....will my evening sugars rise too high with me only taking Metformin?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks.....bit weird to be honest after 3 hours of eating tonight (chip butty) it's 8.1 which is fantastic!
Do you think I should try gliclazide in the morning with Metformin with breakfast and then have lunch and see what readings I get by tea time...?
Only worry if I do that is.....will my evening sugars rise too high with me only taking Metformin?
You can only try.
But I would still have a word with your GP.
But I would be happier if I could understand the reasons you spike so high because of food.
have you tried avoiding the carbs you know are causing the spikes?

Reactions: filly and ziggy_w

VW754

You can only try.
But I would still have a word with your GP.
But I would be happier if I could understand the reasons you spike so high because of food.
have you tried avoiding the carbs you know are causing the spikes?
Thanks.
I love bread lol....I don't have more than 2 slices a day....still bad......I've given up biscuits,I had 1 biscuit and my sugar levels doubled after 15 minutes,so I give them up a few years back.