My Type-1 journey - new blog

Are you more or less happy than you were before you were diagnosed?

• Yes, more

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, less

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

joshhall.nz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, I’m starting a blog telling my journey with Type-1 diabetes.

I was diagnosed as a young adult 2 years ago and I’m hoping people can learn from my story (and my many, many mistakes along the way!). If you’re interested in checking it out, please get in touch.

My main goal is to show people that living with Type-1 can be completely enjoyable, and I want to share how I have managed to reach this mindset. I am happier now than I have ever been, but it wasn't always like that when I first got diagnosed. I want to help people realise they can/will get to this point too.

I’m mainly looking for Type-1’s who were diagnosed from the ages between 16 - 35, but anyone is welcome! Cheers, Josh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was diagnosed at the age of 31, I just get on with type 1 and it's a small part of who I am, but I wouldn't actually call it enjoyable lol
Good luck and all the best @joshhall.nz

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am 16 and was only diagnosed 7 weeks ago, about a week before moving away to college.

gemma22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 22 and was diagnosed 2 months ago, finding it really difficult xx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi I'm 22 and was diagnosed 2 months ago, finding it really difficult xx
Hi Gemma. I know you have heard this a million times but it does get easier. Is there anything in particular which you are struggling with?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes gave me lemons.

But I enjoy sugar-free lemonade.

:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was 42so far too old for your survey :( neither happier or more melancholy. Life is life, nothing has changed about my life except diabetes has joined the rest of it.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hey all, I’m starting a blog telling my journey with Type-1 diabetes.

I was diagnosed as a young adult 2 years ago and I’m hoping people can learn from my story (and my many, many mistakes along the way!). If you’re interested in checking it out, please get in touch.

My main goal is to show people that living with Type-1 can be completely enjoyable, and I want to share how I have managed to reach this mindset. I am happier now than I have ever been, but it wasn't always like that when I first got diagnosed. I want to help people realise they can/will get to this point too.

I’m mainly looking for Type-1’s who were diagnosed from the ages between 16 - 35, but anyone is welcome! Cheers, Josh

That's great Joshhall, fortunately I was diagnosed very young so I don;t have many memories of what it was like not to have diabetes but I can understand how that would be a big shock for teens or young adults having to suddenly change ones lifestyle.

Just yesterday, I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up some test strips and get some insulin refills and as I was heading out I said to my spouse - "You know it's ironic, I just had a thought that it would be nice if I was suddenly not diabetic." My spouse looked concerned as I've never said that before. I then added - "it's not the condition or fluctuating Blood Sugars or the possibilities of unexpected hypos ... I can deal with that, it's the inconvenience of always going to the pharmacy or timing my prescription renewals or waiting in the doctor's office for an hour only to be told things I already know."

No pharmacy or doctor visits today :)

Have a good one!

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was misdiagnosed T2 at 25 all the signs were T1 took 3 months but finally got on the right medication. Happy to help out!

Charlotte2580

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed since 6 weeks ago. I'm 21 and finding it a massive lifestyle change. Any help would be great x

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed since 6 weeks ago. I'm 21 and finding it a massive lifestyle change. Any help would be great x
Hi charlotte def come to the right place. Its a life changing situation for sure. If you havent already have a look see if you can go to a regular meetup as there will be plenty of help from them and its always good to talk in person. I am arranging a kent one but there are others in kent and london that i have seen too. I was diagnosed when I was 25 so i understand how it can change a young persons lifestyle for sure.

gemma22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Type1Bri
Thanks for the reply, I'm just struggling because at the minute I'm not requiring any insulin and when I ask my diabetic nurse she just says that their going with the type 1 diagnosis for now! Just really confusing me

Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi @Type1Bri
Thanks for the reply, I'm just struggling because at the minute I'm not requiring any insulin and when I ask my diabetic nurse she just says that their going with the type 1 diagnosis for now! Just really confusing me

Xxx
I was the same for a while after dx. My insulin needs were tiny, it's the honeymoon period. It does end after a bit and then once you get your requirements sorted it all makes a lot more sense. Don't worry you will get there, make the most of the honeymoon

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree i think sometimes the honeymoon period can be tough as you dont feel you are injecting enough or nothing at all. Enjoy doing minimal injections while you can and it will get easier!