My unconventional approach to T2

shelz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

I've dipped in and out of this forum over the last 2 years, since I was diagnosed as T2. My story and approach is somewhat unconventional but I think it's worth sharing.

I was first diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea and was given a mask to wear at night. Shortly after that, I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic and given 2.5g of Metformin. I then did a lot of research and discovered an interesting video on the Internet called "Fat Head", which I would recommend to anyone interested in losing weight, especially diabetics. I also read some books, the best ones IMO were "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Fat Chance" and "Lose Your Middle-Aged Middle" (this is the best of the 3 books, IMO).

I followed the 6-week plan given in the "Lose Your Middle-Aged Middle" book which really did seem to kick-start weight loss for me. After that, I just ate what I wanted, when I wanted it. My golden rule is that I only ever eat when I'm hungry. I also eat quite a lot of fat, including coconut oil. I do get a craving late at night for something sweet (which is my weakness) and I usually give in and have something I shouldn't, but I'm getting better in that area.

I take a number of supplements daily, some of which are reported to target and stabilise blood sugars. I haven't "dieted" as such, yet have lost over 4 stone. I've dropped from a size 22 to a size 14. I had a blood test at the weekend and all readings were 'normal' and my HbA1c reading had dropped from 92 to 50.

I really don't believe in 'diets' - I think they put far too much psychological pressure on us and for me, drive the wrong behaviour - as soon as I go on a diet, I can't stop thinking about food. When I'm not on a diet (like the last 2 years), I don't think much about food at all. I've also learned that some diets deprive the body of fat, which is the worst possible thing to do to our bodies. Our brains are made of fat and we need to feed them daily.

So overall, a pretty good result, I think. A year ago, my doctor was so concerned at my 'rapid' weight loss, he sent me for a CT scan to rule out cancer. I'm very pleased with my progress and want to lose another couple of stone and hopefully, come off Metformin altogether.

Reactions: 4 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done shelz,
That is an amazing journey and great results you have achieved and in so short time !

shelz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could have done better but I'm taking things steadily. I'm in no hurry. I enjoy reading different approaches to reversing T2 and informing myself rather than relying on the medical profession to advise me on what drugs I need, when actually, I don't. I truly believe most of my success so far has been down to the supplements.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Diabetes is such a personal journey. Good on you for taking your time and doing things your own way. Unfortunately its not a one size fits all condition. My Hb at diagnosis was 100 and I used to be on Metformin 3 x a day but I am now off all meds and my Hb is under 40 so you will get there. Keep us informed if your progress