My visit to the Diabetes Nurse

test_positive

The DN was very good in that she did listen to what I had to say and was genuinely interested. She did not try to force me to move to the HCLF diet although that was obviously what was at the back of her mind. I think it shows the benefit of having the data to back up the success- with the improved HbA1c results and lipid results it's difficult to say "you need to change your diet".

She was very impressed by how I had managed to reduce my HbA1c. Her eyes opened in astonishment when I described my diet - she said that I must really like fatty foods and was concerned at the low level of carbohydrates. That must be why I was feeling so tired. So I explained that I am not feeling tired (I had never said that) and that actually I feel healthier than I have done for a long time since the loss of weight. She looked at my lipid profile and said I needed to watch the LDL level (2.6). I said - what about triglycerides which I thought were more dangerous and are at the lowest since they were measured first in 2005. She admitted that this was surprising given my love of fats. She then said perhaps she should go on the same diet!

After that, she gave me a printout on GI - she was a little embarrassed giving it to me because she knew it was completely at odds with my LCHF diet that has been successful. She did try to stress that I should eat more carbohydrate because as long as my BG was below 9.0 2hrs after a meal that was OK. But I think she could see it was falling on deaf ears.

Then we got onto what I was really interested in - tests for LADA. I am concerned that I seem to keep losing weight...and I am eating a lot of fat. She agreed I should have the tests and gave me the forms for GAD and C-Peptide.

It all just made me realise again how lucky I was to find this forum. Without it where on earth would I be?

And it also made me think what a shame it is that more people don't push, question, research their disease :? How many accept the standard advice without question? My responses and questions were obviously very much out of the ordinary to the DN.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Marvellous! Hopefully it will now start her thinking about what she says to other people. Good luck with the tests. :)